Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2010, 01:34 PM   #1

Share |

Plaster ceiling - want to install down/can lighting with least mess/needed patching

Does anyone have any suggestions on putting some canned lights/downlighting in a ceiling I have that currently does not have any lighting (completely flat ceiling)?

I am going to have to cut into the ceiling to run wire and place the cans, and I would like to hear some input on the best way to go about it. I wish I could put in the lights and not need to repatch the ceiling, but I don't think this is possible is it? The house is 1940s era and I am almost positive the ceiling is plaster...all the walls in the whole house are. Someone said it would probably be pretty pricey to get the plaster repatched, or at least more than it would be if it was just a sheetrock ceiling.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Swaff

swaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
Phoenix

Plaster ceiling - want to install down/can lighting with least mess/needed patching

Is there attic above the ceiling ? If so, yes you should be able to do the wiring & figuring proper placement with out damaging anything. If no, then you will be looking at fixing plaster where ever wood is blocking the path of your wires.

Remember you can't put cans where trusses are when you are figuring out the placements of the cans this should be taken in to account.

Last edited by Axecutioner-B; 10-21-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Axecutioner-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:02 PM   #3

There is a bedroom above, so I am probably either working with 1x6 or maybe a little more. Thank you for your help!
swaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaff View Post
There is a bedroom above, so I am probably either working with 1x6 or maybe a little more. Thank you for your help!
If thats the case then expect to do wall & ceiling repairs. You can minimize these by using the holes you cut for your cans to help fish the wires as much as possible.

Where is your power source?
Do you have switched power already in that ceiling or will you need to get switched power up the wall to a switch & then up to the ceiling?

The more you plan ahead the less repairs you may have to make at the end.
Personally i like the challenge of figuring out the most effecient way to run the wires with the least amount of drywall repair, i get mad at myself if when I'm all done i see any holes that i could've avoided making if i would have done something different.

Last edited by Axecutioner-B; 10-21-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Axecutioner-B is offline   Reply With Quote