Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #1

Share |

Patching popcorn

Moving into a place that was built in 2006. Looks like polystyrene popcorn(coarse sized) was sprayed on the ceilings, fairly thin. There is a foot long crack in one of the ceilings that I would like to patch, and I want to remove a track lighting fixture which will require some new popcorn as well.

I have a decent Richard brand hopper gun and a compressor that I've used to spray 3 ceilings in the past that turned out fine but I've never tried to blend existing texture. Any tips for matching and how to just spray and blend a certain area without scraping the entire ceiling? It's probably a 30x40 room at best guess.

n0c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Patching popcorn

I would prime the bare spot so the evil stuff has something to stick to. Then see if you can find the polystyrene pellets in about the same size as is up there. Not sure a box store will have more than one option so try a paint store or building supply place.

I would lay on one pass, let it dry, see what you have, and then hit it with another pass rather than trying to match all at once. You should be able to come pretty close to a match or at least only you will notice.

They do sell the repair stuff in spray cans but the stuff is outrageously expensive and each can only gives you a burst of a few seconds.

I am sure I don't have to remind you however you do this you are going to make a mess so make sure to buy lots of plastic and keep the stuff away from your cold air returns or it will clog the filters in no time.

Last edited by user1007; 02-02-2010 at 02:21 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:43 PM   #3

Patching popcorn

I'm pretty sure I know exactly which type they used as it looks near identical to my last job. I only did one coat in the past, and this stuff I want to replicate looks like it only had one pass as well, so fingers crossed.

Instead of taping the entire place down(yup, I know how messy it is), have you ever tried creating some sort of box to contain the hopper splatter in?
n0c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:25 PM   #4

Patching popcorn

I have done this a bunch (well had my people do it) and i found it helpful to scrape away a good area or it so that you dont have one small patch that looks different. If its a larger area its not as noticeable.
wnabcptrNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #5
Drywall contractor

Patching popcorn

Spray from the existing into the bare spot to keep buildup from the edge. Yes, staple painter's plastic to the ceiling to form a "paint booth" to contain overspray. Touch up the small holes after you pull the plastic down. Your biggest problem might be finding a match for the coarse spray. Drywall supply MAY have some. Medium is about all you can find any more...