Patching Plaster And Drywall - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 160

Patching Plaster and Drywall

Hello. I just took down some tile in a room in my house. I have a few holes I need to patch up caused by the hammer. Then one area just crumbled about 3'x2'... My idea is to use 1/2 inch drywall but then when I was comparing the size. It looks like they put up 1/2 drywall but then plastered over it? Is this normal? How can I substitute the size difference?

Advertisement

ryanb4614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
retired union carpenter

Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

Patching Plaster and Drywall

hi Ryan, it's probably gypsum backer board you're seeing behind plaster. this is normal now days-they used to use 1/4-3/8" lathing strips with 1/4" spaces between to force plaster into to hold it on wall. the part that crumbled, most likely got wet, due to bad grout? maybe you can build it up using 1/4" drywall glued to backer board, then cover using 5/8" drywall,gluing and screwing with 2 1/2" screws. if you can find the studs? if not, you can use rock to rock screws, countersink screws to through the drywall paper, Spackle two coats over screws and re tile

good luck
coupe

Advertisement

coupe is offline   Reply With Quote