Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Patching holes in the drywall...

I have holes in my walls due to what looks like the curtain rod holders being ripped out of the walls....i went to homedepot with pics of all the holes next to a tape measure and was helped by someone who told me what i needed and what to do.
I got mesh tape, red dot westpac materials all purpose joint compound, sand paper, little saw, small drywall board, drywall screws and putty knives.
So I figured out how i wanted to do it and filled in all the holes and was very proud of myself! Not bad for a single grandma....and now....there are cracks developing in the compound as i dries....!!!??? I know this is only the first layer, but is this ok that this is happening? Has all my hard work been done in vain? Please help!

jdm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

compound does that with a thicker application. try thin coats after the first one and you should be fine. when you are filling holes the first coat tends to be thicker.

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Yep, several thin coats are better than trying to "pile the mud on" to get it to cover....