Patching Drywall With Smaller Piece - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Patching drywall with smaller piece

I made a small rectangle hole in a wall so I could grab a wire and put it in a hole that I drilled upwards, and I cut a small piece from scrap drywall and realized it's not as thick. I am not about to go buy a full 4x8 just for one small piece and I don't have a truck.

I put it in anyway and I will just be using mesh tape to build it up until it's flush. I do one layer, let it dry, sand, another layer and so on. This might take a while but I have patience. think this will hold ok in the long run? I've done something similar before and it worked fine, but not as big.

Advertisement

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
I make love to my walls

Rewards Points: 25

if you have some more scrap laying around it wont matter how thick it is if you make what we call a chicago patch, all you have to do is cut a piece about 2 inches bigger than your hole on each side and on the back of the piece score a square in it the size of your hole and snap it and peel off only the drywall on the outside back, leaving the face paper on. mud around your hole and fit the patch in, the extra face paper acts as your tape so you dont have to bother with mesh, you also dont have to bother with backing blocks and the like. squeeze out the extra mud making it tight and add your other coats and sand and thats it. you can google a search for chicago patches or california patches they have different names around the country. I hope this helps

Advertisement

Arey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Oh right, I completely forgot about this method.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

if the patch isnt to big i prefer it recessed usig quick set bag mud for first coat, this allows a nice flat finish when complete
Old 05-24-2010, 10:26 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpolk View Post
if the patch isnt to big i prefer it recessed usig quick set bag mud for first coat, this allows a nice flat finish when complete
Ditto on what Tpolk said. If you already have the small patch in place, use some easisand 45 from HD to set the patch and most of the filling. Use premixed joint compound for your final coat.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:28 PM   #6
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,042

Yep, with that type of patch, thickness of the drywall doesn't matter.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:24 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 36

How big of a hole can you patch using a Chicago patch?
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:16 AM   #8
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,042

I wouldn't go much bigger than 12"x12".
Jim F (06-07-2010)
Old 06-05-2010, 09:38 AM   #9
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Sometimes during the process of peeling the rock off the back of the paper you might stretch and distort the paper flap. When this happens, the flap won't lay down just right all the way around.

Don't be afraid to use your utility knife to slice out long, very narrow pie-shaped wedges to get rid of the bunched up paper as it fails to smooth down just right during mudding. The wedges fill right in with mud.

Mix your mud a bit wetter than usual, and be sure to get plenty where the paper flap will rest against the original wall, and also down in around the edge of the hole.

And then carefully squeeze as much as you possibly can back out from under the flap with your dampened trowel, always working from the hole, outward.

Advertisement

Last edited by Willie T; 06-05-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
Jim F (06-07-2010)