Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2014, 07:44 PM   #1

Share |

Patching drywall at ceiling/wall joint (with textured ceiling)...

Hello guys,

I am planning out my bathroom remodel and am trying to avoid doing a whole drywall tear out. I would like to, however, remove the drywall on one wall (which shares a wall with my bedroom) to install insulation and probably some mass loaded vinyl to cut down on the noise. I do have a textured ceiling (not popcorn just that stamping they do with almost a broom or brush).

When I install new drywall on the wall, how do I go about finishing the ceiling/wall joint? I would assume I have to sand down the texture on the ceiling in the corner so I can tape and feather the mud out for the inside corner. The ceiling is painted-how and what would I use to sand this down? And any tips on then re-doing the texture so it matches?

I may just hire out the drywall finishing, but I just want to make sure what I am thinking of doing is acceptable and will not be impossible to finish and get to match the rest of the ceiling. Thanks!

Nick

AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #2

Ally,
If you don't want to get into the ceiling, strike a straight line 3-4" below the ceiling joint and cut the drywall there. Vibrating tool works very well and leaves a nice cut. Then when you replace the drywall and go to tape, you have enough room to tape right up to the ceiling joint without getting into the ceiling.
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:59 PM   #3

I was going to install mass loaded vinyl under the drywall to deaden the sound so that really isn't an option.....is it going to be that big of a pain to get to match? What should I use to remove the texture on the ceiling near the joint so I can properly tape and mud it?
Old 04-04-2014, 09:17 PM   #4
Remodel and New Build GC

I have no idea what mass loaded vinyl is.... and sure would like to know. TIA...

I do Firehawks suggestion first when I don't want to disturb ceiling.... but I guess mass loaded vinly won't fit.

If not feasable.... just cut exactly flush/tight to ceiling, and use a good caulk rather then mudding at all. I use a paintable silicon.

Or pay a good texture man to match and feather in designer texture.

(With regard to your question as to how to remove existing ceiling texture, just sand it off)

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 04-04-2014 at 09:20 PM.
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:36 AM   #5

All go,
When I need to cut at the ceiling joint and then retake, I use a stiff bladed 4" taping knife to scrape the texture off. Then I tape with hot mix mud for the first two coats. Third coat I will use premixed mud, I like USG dust control. Once it's dry I will sand the joint, then depending on the type of texture, I will thin out a bit of the premix mud and texture the edge that was just taped. Sometimes it's one of a couple different brushes I have, or a sea sponge will often work. If you don't blob it on, you can get it to blend in and hide the joint. If worse comes to worse, the entire ceiling would have to be retextured.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:13 AM   #6

You can cut it like suggested then with a sharp utility knife cut the tape where the ceiling and wall meet then pull the piece out this eliminates the butt joint. And the same size drywall will fit back in. But since I have no idea what mass loaded vinyl is I don't know if this will work or not.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #7

Thanks for tips guys. Mass Loaded Vinyl is vinyl sheathing (1/8th-1/4 inch thick) that is used as a sound deadener underneath drywall...its very heavy and adds mass to the wall so that sound doesn't travel as easily through it.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:31 PM   #8

Have read a lot of posts on sound but never heard of this.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote