Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2010, 04:56 PM   #1

Share |

Patching drywall

I ripout a 4ft high section of drywall from my kitchen to do electrical, i have now put the drywall back in but there is a huge different from the new drywal to the old drwall. Some areas there is a 1/4 lip. Should i build up with mud along the seam to get close to the old drywall than run a layer of tape, then keep smoothing it out? Wall tile is going on so it doesnt need to be perfect but semi level. Thanks

83trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:46 PM   #2

Patching drywall

If you are saying the new drywall is recessed in comparison with the old drywall, I would measure the difference and cut some wood to make a shim for each stud. Bring the new drywall out so it ends up being flush with the old and then tape. The old drywall sounds like rock lathe and plaster, which can vary but usually is around 3/4" - 1" thick. Try and get the wall in good enough shape as if you were going to paint it, then your tile job will be much easier.
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:43 PM   #3

Patching drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
If you are saying the new drywall is recessed in comparison with the old drywall, I would measure the difference and cut some wood to make a shim for each stud. Bring the new drywall out so it ends up being flush with the old and then tape. The old drywall sounds like rock lathe and plaster, which can vary but usually is around 3/4" - 1" thick. Try and get the wall in good enough shape as if you were going to paint it, then your tile job will be much easier.
Mike Hawkins
The old drywall is 1/2 still with 3-10 coats of paint and the new drywall is indented abit along the end for taping if you know what i mean. Not all the edges are 1/4 but some are not sure why.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
Household Handyman

Patching drywall

IF you are saying the new drywall is recessed: This is not an uncommon problem between older drywall and new drywall. Although you may have 1/2" in your home and you went and bought 1/2" it may not be exactly the same thickness. I run into this a lot. I use stiff paper (construction paper) or even thin cardboard to shim out drywall that sits back just a little. Staple it to the existing wall studs where needed to make the drywall joints as smooth as possible before mudding. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:55 AM   #5

Patching drywall

Thanks, and when i said 1/4 lip i looked again at it , and its not that bad but there still is a good lip there.