Patching Advice Needed - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2014, 05:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Patching advice needed

A recent plumbing repair required the destruction of existing 70's era stucco and left a large hole in the garage ceiling. I created some makeshift lath with chicken wire, paper bags and a glue gun. Please see the attached pic, which has a foot-long ruler inserted for scale.

What material and approach should I use to patch this?

I researched some stucco videos on YouTube and it seems like a difficult process with long periods of drying between layers and a need to keep wetting everything down.

Is there a simpler/better option?

Getting a quality non-cracking hold is more important than exactly matching the existing stucco texture.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Patching advice needed-imag0119.jpg  

Advertisement

S_Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 672

Patching advice needed

Imposable to tell where this repair needs to be in relationship to the rest of the garage.
Inside, outside?
#1, I never would have used paper bags!.

Advertisement

Old 06-20-2014, 06:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,294

Patching advice needed

Yeah, it's gonna make a HUGE difference if it's inside as compared to outside. If it's inside, you could build up the repair with several layers of setting type joint compound until you are almost flush. Then the trick will be to match that stipple/stucco texture that's on there now with regular joint compound. That's never easy and will require some practice on some scrap drywall.

If it's exterior, the same principles apply except you will have to use something rated for exterior use, some sort of stucco/cement-based compound.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Patching advice needed

It is in the ceiling of a subterranean garage. The garage has several openings to the outside so temps would be the same as outdoors. The patch site is completely protected from overhead rain. This is in southern California, where freezing is very rarely an issue.

Regarding the bags, I suggested a $10 roll of pro-grade lath, but the owner wanted to use what was on hand. Go figure. I think it will work.
S_Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 672

Patching advice needed

Should have been tar paper not a paper bag.

Tags
ceiling , garage , patch , stucco