Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #1

Share |

To Patch or Replace?

Have a friend who is debating which way to go and I told him I'd post to see what the world thinks...

This is a kitchen backsplash. It is 1/2" gwb and had a veneer brick applied that was chipped off. New Granite counter tops where installed and the backsplash left alone. The red you see is very thin pieces of the brick still left and the grout joints have chunks left here an there.

Question is...because the cabinets and counters aren't an option to remove/replace, does he sand the wall with a heavy grit and float a new finish with compound? Or remove & replace gwb? His concern with remove and replacing the gwb is getting a good joint along the 4" granite backsplash. Thoughts?

Last edited by AGWhitehouse; 06-19-2013 at 02:59 PM.
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
Tileguy

To Patch or Replace?

Will it sand-down with a heavy grit paper?

The substrate doesn't have to be perfect to apply a tile backsplash if that's what he is up to. Don't know that it would even need to be floated.

Just depends on if a sander will do the job. I would try an orbital sander to keep the dust at a minimum and use maybe an 80 or 50 grit paper.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:35 AM   #3

To Patch or Replace?

Thanks Bud, I would say that a heavy grit paper would knock down the high spots enough to tile. Definately on Orbital sander.

He has come concern with tile as his live-in grandmother loves to make sunday sauce and splatter sauce on the walls (mainly the side wall as the stove is in a corner with only a 9" base between it and the wall). He fears even sealed grout will eventually stain with an onslaught of grandma's cooking. Maybe I'll recommend he tile the back splash and float out & paint the sidesplash where the sauce battleground really is...
Old 10-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
Tileguy

To Patch or Replace?

I would suggest using a porcelain tile, the bigger the better and use small grout lines. The urethane grouts would be best to resist staining but the heat may be a factor with them so maybe a Portland grout well sealed would be best.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
AGWhitehouse (10-03-2011)
Old 10-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #5

To Patch or Replace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
I would suggest using a porcelain tile, the bigger the better and use small grout lines.
Despite the advice, he really wants a specific 1x1 tile (on 12x12 mesh). I was thinking after he sands it out to knock down the really high stuff, he should skim coat the wall to ensure a "smoother" surface so the tile will lay flat. Do you have any objections to just using regular compound?
Old 10-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
Tileguy

To Patch or Replace?

"Do I have any objections"?

Nope...but...joint compound doesn't like tile thinset and tile mastic all that well so I would either plan to prime the raw compound or use 20 minute mud. Twenty minute mud has a higher density and it will be harder to sand but once the adhesive is applied it won't reject the sticky as easily as regular joint compound will.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #7

To Patch or Replace?

Awesome, thanks! You confirmed my skepticism of tile over bare compound.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:36 PM   #8
Tileguy

To Patch or Replace?

Yow...tile over raw garden variety joint compound can be real iffy. So can liquid waterproofing but that's another story.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #9

To Patch or Replace?

I bet...My friend has learned the hard way why you should have a master plan in place before you order and install those pricey granite counters...I hope he's got plenty of cold beer when I inevitably help him tackle this.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
Tileguy

To Patch or Replace?

Where did the granite come from? You should maybe take your own coaster with you.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #11

To Patch or Replace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Where did the granite come from? You should maybe take your own coaster with you.
He decided a while back (2 years or so) he was going to "upgrade" some things around his house. One of the things was his countertops. So he had granite installed. The only prep he did was chip the bricks off. Now, 2 years later he's wanting to tile the backsplash and was confused on what to do which is when he asked me and this post was born. Just stinks he didn't do the right wall prep before the counters...It's gonna cost him some delicious beer on my nice coaster!

Bud Cline (10-06-2011)