DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Patch and Hang Something Heavy?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Nestor_Kelebay 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I tried using butterfly drywall anchors in my mud room to hang bicycles, as there were no studs at the right height. As you can see, it didn't work out.

Any suggestions to create a proper anchor for the bikes? Does it make sense to cut out a larger horizontal section of the drywall and put a 2X4 in before replacing the drywall?

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi All,

I tried using butterfly drywall anchors in my mud room to hang bicycles, as there were no studs at the right height. As you can see, it didn't work out.

Any suggestions to create a proper anchor for the bikes? Does it make sense to cut out a larger horizontal section of the drywall and put a 2X4 in before replacing the drywall?

Thanks!
Yes that makes sense. :yes:
Unless you can go up in the attic and add the 2x4 from up there. :thumbsup:

#4 ·
I'm not clear if that's ceiling or wall I'm looking at. Anyway, if it's wall for example and you don't have studs in a good position, you can put up a nice trim board, say 1X6" pine 4-6' long, and screw that solidly into the studs where the studs are. Then you can put your hooks or whatever anywhere along the trim board.

Adjust appropriately if that's a ceiling.

#6 ·
Jerkbag:

Cut out the damaged drywall and fasten two spruce 2X2's to the adjacent wall studs 1 3/16 behind the face of the existing drywall.

Now, screw 3/4 inch plywood (which will be 11/16 inch thick) to the spruce "nailers".

Then, use drywall screws to cover the hole with drywall and still be flush with the surrounding wall.

Apply self adhesive fiberglass mesh drywall tape to the joints, mud the joints, sand smooth, prime and paint.

Now you can drill through the drywall into the plywood and screw in a strong hook or whatever you need to support those bicycles.

Now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.