Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #1

Share |

Paper faced corner bead

Hi there. I bought a bunch of paper faced outside corner bead in 10ft lengths. I have long sections of bulk head in my basement and am wondering if I can splice the corner bead together or do I need to use tape for the long sections? Any ideas or help would be much appreciated. Thank for Any info

Rambo1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #2

Paper faced corner bead

post a photo
also look in to trimtex vinyl corner bead for something like that. Oh and you can't buy TrimTex products at your local Box store you have to buy it from a sheetrock supply shop.

Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #3

Paper faced corner bead

By "splice" you mean butt two pieces next to each other when you don't have a long enough piece to run the length? I believe so, but I will let a drywall expert pipe in.

In response to Nailbags: aren't vinyl corner beads harder to mud and paint than paper/metal corner beads?

B
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #4

Paper faced corner bead

Sometimes tape alone is used (I read that's the traditional method) so I don't see a problem with butting two sections of bead. I'd probably put tape over the butt.
Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dorado For This Useful Post:
Rambo1982 (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #5

Paper faced corner bead

Don't use the paper-faced corner bead in areas that could possibly get bumped. It's not as strong.

Whenever I've needed to butt two pieces of corner bead, I have not spliced over it with paper tape. I don't think it would hurt to do so, however.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #6

Paper faced corner bead

I just did a bulk head in my basement and had to butt 2 pieces of the paper faced corner bead together, can't even tell.
bova80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bova80 For This Useful Post:
Nailbags (04-30-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #7

Paper faced corner bead

Awesome. That's good news
Rambo1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #8

Paper faced corner bead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
By "splice" you mean butt two pieces next to each other when you don't have a long enough piece to run the length? I believe so, but I will let a drywall expert pipe in.

In response to Nailbags: aren't vinyl corner beads harder to mud and paint than paper/metal corner beads?

B
No they are not. if you use the right ones not the ones out the Orange or blue stores.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
retired union carpenter

Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

Paper faced corner bead

personally, I've never been a fan of paper anything other than tape. for the purpose it was designed for, inside corners and joints. unless, it's paper L bead where it's not subjected to exposure.

that being said, yes you can butt paper bead joints. using a splice piece say 6"7" placed under the joint to keep pieces even. and, no vinyl beads will not keep paint any better than the bumper on your car or resin outdoor furniture or siding. it just don't bond to vinyl it'll look okay for a couple/few days till weather starts popping paint off in flakes the size of pennies! there is a reason vinyl, and resin are manufactured with color throughout. if it gets scratched? it's the same color.

as always, just my thoughts

coupe is offline   Reply With Quote