Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2011, 02:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

painting new drywall

Would it be okay to use one of the new paint products with the primer already mixed in to paint my newly drywalled ceiling?

dtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:39 AM   #2

painting new drywall

thats a good question.we just painted new drywall afer a pocket door install,but used primer we already had.went to HD to purchase paint for that wall and saw these new paint products but didn't ask.
jeff

jeffski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:56 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

painting new drywall

I would recommend against it.

Drywall primer is cheap and goes pretty far. Those primer included products are mainly for coverage as they have a very high zinc oxide or other high coverage additive mixed in to my knowledge. You would be best served by using drywall primer to seal the paper backing and provide an even surface for the paint with good adhesion. My issue is that it might suck up a lot of paint unless you're really trying to save time over money.
cschwehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:49 AM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

painting new drywall

Priming with the d/w primer serves another purpose too. It quickly shows up any problem areas with your finishing and unlike paint can be easily sanded and refinished to achieve perfection prior to painting.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,028

painting new drywall

And it evens out the absorption of the finish coat of paint to keep the joints from "flashing"...
Old 03-11-2011, 12:31 AM   #6

painting new drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtape View Post
Would it be okay to use one of the new paint products with the primer already mixed in to paint my newly drywalled ceiling?
Don't you think that it would not ruin your previous paint and would not damage the wall. What i would suggest you is to check it on minimum and then go for whole! Luck!

Watson63 is offline   Reply With Quote