Painted Popcorn Impossible - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2010, 12:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painted popcorn impossible

I've sprayed a good amount of hot water/fabric softner onto my painted popcorn ceilings in hopes of easily scraping them off... not even close! They are just as hard as they were before, but now wet. I know of the option to put new drywall over it and start from scratch but I'd rather not. Could I just apply mud with a hopper and try to do a knockdown texture over it? Any advice would help. Thanks.

Advertisement

newdiyfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

You could try a knockdown texture over it if you are sure the evil stuff is really stuck up there. You will have a mess if the popcorn and knowdown stuck to it starts coming loose though. I would be tempted to prime before the knockdown finish to aid adhesion.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

Try a hard scraper to knock the texture off (floor scraper works well). Once you get it started you may be able to get under it to get it off. Then you may be able to sand it reasonably smooth and skim..
Old 02-08-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

Yeah, like BJ said - Just tarp up your doorways, get a face mask, get a set of scrapers, and be done with it.
I did my whole living room and bathroom like that and am glad - it was an annoying mess but well worth it.

They also sell panels that you apply over top of popcorn that are decorative - not cheap - but pretty.