Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #1

Share |

Options for walls in garage - flipping home

I had to pull the OSB sheets covering the walls in my garage (SEVERE mouse damage to the insulation), and am now left with open walls and nails sticking through from the siding. I also was wondering what to do with the roof.... I figure adding some storage space up there (wood sheets) might add value... but I've never done this house flippage thing before.

I don't want to spend a bunch of money, and I plan to do the work myself.
I was thinking about just throwing some insulation back in there and sheetrocking it, but wanted to know if maybe there was a cheaper or easier way to make the walls look decent again. I am also concerned there appears to be no vapor barrier, nor remnants of one.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,

Last edited by white25rs; 08-13-2013 at 05:50 PM. Reason: moar pics
white25rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I would be tempted to say leave it to the buyer but it is clear you have no wrap or anything under the exterior planking. So, add insulation and drywall would be my suggestion and about the cheapest. OSB will work if you find it cheaper. Take a pic or two to show what you did. I am assuming this monster of a garage is separate and not attached to the house and drawing on its HVAC right?

But, with an open cathedral/ceiling like roof like that? All the wall insulation in the world will not help much I fear. Heat must sail right up to the top. It is nice looking but an energy and heat exhausting nightmare. If you want the look, I think you need to at least roll insulate insulate it to show you tried? Or finish the ceiling and loose the look. A shame but more energy efficient.

If I were looking at it? I already noticed the exterior and you disclosed it in your post. The fact a garage has no wrap would be grounds for discussion and price negotiation but if your real estate agent was smart, he/she would not let me get away with it if we are talking about a detached garage.

My concern would be that open space above me and whether a 12" ceramic heater would help me in the winter.

That is some garage for a typical flip home! I had to look up where you are and think I understand now. I used to commute in and through the Seattle area before it became what it is now.

Unless you are going to do this tacky hacky in two weeks? Why not call it something other than a flip? Nothing wrong with putting less than you would into your own home but don't disguise stuff and do shoddy, crappy stuff as seen too often on TV.

Last edited by user1007; 08-08-2013 at 03:24 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
white25rs (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #3

Thanks for the response! Here is a photo of what it looked like before (if that was what you were asking for). I figure I'll end up spending about $1-1.5K getting the garage looking a lot better... but don't know if its worth it.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
If I were looking at it? I already noticed the exterior has no wrap but my concern would be that open space above me and whether a 12" ceramic heater would help me in the winter.

That is some garage for a typical flip home! I had to look up where you are and think I understand now. Unless you are going to do this tacky hacky in two weeks? Why not call it something other than a flip?
Yep, would be nice to have 1 heater take care of it... thats what I usually use.

Thanks, yeah the house was about 25% under value when I picked it up (due to neglect), and has since increased in value about 12-15% according to the city. Paid about 308, hoping to get out of it at about 450 after its updated.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Like I say, it looks great unfinished to me save for that giant cathedral ceiling situation. You closing the walls would not impress me that much since from the photos they look fine. I can do that. I would much rather see you address that issue than worrying about the walls for now. Maybe a suspended ceiling with some clear or semi-translucent panels would impress me. Right now. All I see is any heat I put in the space going straight up.

Do I wish someone had wrapped the thing before nailing on the sheathing and siding it? Sure. Deal killer. Nope. Open ceiling space like that? Depending on what you think you want for the place, and whether I was going to use the garage for something. Could be at least a major issue between offering and asking price.

Last edited by user1007; 08-08-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Would love to see pictures of the home and garage from the outside if you feel like it. $408 seems low for that area? How long do you have before you have to get out from under it all with construction/renovation loans and all coming due? Like it is any of my business. Can you spend some time on this and get out alive actually restoring or renovating it and would it be worth it?

Flipper was my fave dolphin as a kid. I hate people proud of being such when it comes to homes from most work they do.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #7

Why would there be any form of house wrap or vapor barrier showing on the inside of an outside wall?
Insulate it with R13 with Kraft paper, sheetrock it, tape it with at least one coat of mud, is my vote.
What a difference location makes, in my area for that price you would have river front property, 3 bedrooms, 2, baths. And cost about $100,000 less.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Why would there be any form of house wrap or vapor barrier showing on the inside of an outside wall?
Insulate it with R13 with Kraft paper, sheetrock it, tape it with at least one coat of mud, is my vote.
What a difference location makes, in my area for that price you would have river front property, 3 bedrooms, 2, baths. And cost about $100,000 less.

Thanks for your input, and yes- it is disgusting how expensive houses are out here... I have 3 bed, 2 bath - my parents built a 4br 3.5ba house in 1990.... for 100k less than mine... and theirs is 3x the floorspace LOL
Old 08-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Would love to see pictures of the home and garage from the outside if you feel like it. $408 seems low for that area? How long do you have before you have to get out from under it all with construction/renovation loans and all coming due? Like it is any of my business. Can you spend some time on this and get out alive actually restoring or renovating it and would it be worth it?

Flipper was my fave dolphin as a kid. I hate people proud of being such when it comes to homes from most work they do.

Hi Sdsester,

No problem asking me questions but I had one for you... Where did the $408 come from?

I'd like to get out in a year from now. Got it in Sept. I don't think I have any time crunches (aside from trying to predict when the next housing bubble pop comes) and am renting to 2 tenants, so they help me pay my mortgage I have a decent amount of free time (some work from home) so that helps me.

Maxed my CCs out doing remodels from sept-april, am now paying those down and doing much cheaper fixes (yard work). I'll try to get some pics and post them in the original post.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by white25rs View Post
Hi Sdsester,

No problem asking me questions but I had one for you... Where did the $408 come from?
Sorry, you did say you are up to $450K.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #11

White primed 4x8 sheets of pegboard. Covers the walls and makes storage opportunities. Requires no painting.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #12
DIY staff

You need to let us know if this is an attached garage or free standing---

I'm with Joe on this one----insulation and drywall---but check code---5/8 fire stop is code here for a garage that is attached.

Forget about a plywood floor in the attic---the trusses are not designed for a load and will be flagged as a violation by a good home inspector----waste of money if you need to rip it out to pass inspection.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #13

Quote:
I would be tempted to say leave it to the buyer but it is clear you have no wrap or anything under the exterior planking. So, add insulation and drywall would be my suggestion and about the cheapest. OSB will work if you find it cheaper. Take a pic or two to show what you did. I am assuming this monster of a garage is separate and not attached to the house and drawing on its HVAC right?

But, with an open cathedral/ceiling like roof like that? All the wall insulation in the world will not help much I fear. Heat must sail right up to the top. It is nice looking but an energy and heat exhausting nightmare. If you want the look, I think you need to at least roll insulate insulate it to show you tried? Or finish the ceiling and loose the look. A shame but more energy efficient.

If I were looking at it? I already noticed the exterior and you disclosed it in your post. The fact a garage has no wrap would be grounds for discussion and price negotiation but if your real estate agent was smart, he/she would not let me get away with it if we are talking about a detached garage.

My concern would be that open space above me and whether a 12" ceramic heater would help me in the winter.

That is some garage for a typical flip home! I had to look up where you are and think I understand now. I used to commute in and through the Seattle area before it became what it is now.

Unless you are going to do this tacky hacky in two weeks? Why not call it something other than a flip? Nothing wrong with putting less than you would into your own home but don't disguise stuff and do shoddy, crappy stuff as seen too often on TV.
Thanks again for the response. I have added more pics. I think what I am going to do is put a layer of plastic on the inside, of the outside wall, place R13 with kraft paper (as described before by another member on my thread), and then drywall over that. For the ceiling, I will clean out the wood/crap from above, then blow cellulose over it. Sound like a plan?
Old 08-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #14

first off, its a garage and it is detached. there is no reason for a wrapping, other than a waste of money. second it is detached, so why insulate it? it will be the same temp as outside no matter what (unless you have a space heater. lastly, I prefer pegboard (painted) this is a little more than drywall, but what you save on insulation and wrapping can go toward this. pegboard is also more useful than drywall in a garage because it can be used with hooks to store items on the walls. As far as total cost, I don't see it being more than $500. If this is to much, leave it be. it is a garage and all guys have varying expectations. chances are the next owner will change it anyway... its how the male gender works...
diyer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyer111 View Post
first off, its a garage and it is detached. there is no reason for a wrapping, other than a waste of money. second it is detached, so why insulate it? it will be the same temp as outside no matter what (unless you have a space heater. lastly, I prefer pegboard (painted) this is a little more than drywall, but what you save on insulation and wrapping can go toward this. pegboard is also more useful than drywall in a garage because it can be used with hooks to store items on the walls. As far as total cost, I don't see it being more than $500. If this is to much, leave it be. it is a garage and all guys have varying expectations. chances are the next owner will change it anyway... its how the male gender works...
You might be right, I am still a newb at this stuff, but when I think of pegboard walls I think of old garages from the 70s, not a newly remodeled house. Is my thinking correct or flawed?