Older Drywall Repair - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2010, 06:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Older Drywall Repair

I hope someone on here can give me some advice. I just moved into a home that was built in 1984. At the joints where the wall meets the ceiling and the wall meets another wall, I can sometimes see a small, straight crack in the wall. It appears to be caused by some material used to join the two pieces of drywall. When I peel it off, it looks kinda like masking tape, but with a construction paper like consistency. It attaches to both pieces that meet in the corner, but usually only one side peels off easily. What is the best way to repair this? It doesn't seem to look anything like the mesh joint tape I see in stores. Is it a materiel that is no longer used in construction? Below is the material in my hand, what it looks like at the crack in the wall, and the spot where I pulled it off. I tried to replace with drywall tape and joint compound but it doesn't seem to want to stay.

Advertisement

brian30148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Older Drywall Repair

I think I figured this out. I realized the material is the paper tape instead of the mesh tape. I went to Lowes and near the drywall I found paper drywall tape specially made for cornering. I just applied it with the first layer of compound. Goes up real easy. I'll post pics of the finished job.

Advertisement

brian30148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:03 PM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Older Drywall Repair

There is a little more to it. Check out THIS.

BTW... Just placing new tape over old tape that has not correctly adhered to the drywall beneath it will not fix your problems. You need to get any loose tape all the way off. Then put the new tape on properly.

But more than likely the cracking problems began by improper drywall fastening. By this, I mean they likely fastened the corners too close to the corners, and the ceiling too close to the walls. At least the last foot (better at around 18") next to any corner or ceiling joint should NOT be fastened at all. It should 'float', being held together with just the drywall tape.

Last edited by Willie T; 07-24-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote