Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

old outlet boxes- drywall

I had to move some old outlets for my new kitchen layout- I have 2 old outlet boxes still in the wall (no wires)- They are in a location where my new backsplash will eventually go. Do I leave the old boxes there- put a plastic cover over and spakle over it?- or try to get the boxes out and use some type of drywall patch?

skinut2234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:03 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,090

I would remove the box and patch the hole. Reason being there's a hole that the wires were run to it in the top or bottom plate that will leak air.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:42 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,280

The big box stores carry a drywall patch that is a thin sheet of aluminum with a thin fiberglass mesh on top they come in different sizes like 4"x4" 6"x6" and 8"x8" so you could leave the boxes in. These patches are sticky on the back so you don't have to use screws. They are very DIY friendly, but cover them with joint compound 2 coats, sanding between coats. Just be careful you don"t sand clear thru the compound. Good Luck let us know how it turns out.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Thanks- yes- I've used the patches before (they work well)- Was just wondering if it's standrd practice to take the old boxes out of the wall- I would think that is best to make for a cleaner install overall
skinut2234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,280

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinut2234 View Post
Thanks- yes- I've used the patches before (they work well)- Was just wondering if it's standrd practice to take the old boxes out of the wall- I would think that is best to make for a cleaner install overall
The boxes should be set back just a little or if they are even, as long as they don't hold the patch out away from the wall it won't effect the install at all. But by all means if you are more comfortable with it take them out.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote