Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #1

Share |

Old inside corner tape failing

In my bathroom renovation I managed to save the top half (4ft) from demolition or so I thought. On closer inspectio, it appears that the old paint has cracked and the tape has split at the cracks. I probably already know the answer to this. Do I need to sand off all this old corner tape and start over with new tape? Or can I get away with mudding or painting over this area?

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

What has likely happened is that when the original D/W was hung, they fastened both sides of the corner up close. This seems proper, at first, but it is a poor practice because when walls move a little in relationship to each other, (and they will) the solidly fastened down inside corners have no flex and the tape usually cracks... along with the paint on top of the tape.

You can either sand the old tape, or tape over it... really doesn't matter... it will keep on happening as long as the walls find a reason to move some.

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
Handyman

I am seeing more and more of this in newer homes. I've seen a couple where the paint starts riplling at the corners and lots of cracks. When I peel the paint back I can tell that there is only one layer of mud laid (the first layer) and that's it. No wonder they have houses popping up overnight
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
Drywall contractor

It would be best to tear out the old tape and retape the corners....
Old 06-12-2010, 01:57 PM   #5
Handyman

absolutely
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote