Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
the Musigician

Share |

Old crack in drywall

I'm at a point where I'm trying to finish up a wall I did not drywall new. The idiot that did the job left a whole sheet from ceiling to floor not connected to anything on one edge!
You can push the thing back and forth with your fingertip. No way can I just remud and cover this crack. Any cool tricks I haven't found to solidify the seam to finish this wall other than removing the panel and adding a 2X support (that should have been there to begin with?) I've considered a few holes and injecting GSFoam behind to strengthen, but I don't think it will do the trick.
There's tape on the seam, but that did no good.... you'd think they would have noticed it right away as they were sanding/painting/etc. It looks like the left sheet has a stud 2 inches to the left of the right hand edge, if I tear it apart, I'd need to use a flat 2x4 to secure it.

Perhaps I'll go buy some cheap paneling....

Thanks!

DN

Old 05-16-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Old crack in drywall

Paneling will just bow when you press on it too. And cheap paneling will always look like cheap paneling. Unless you hang velvet glow in the dark paintings of Elvis on it. I think you need to bite the bullet and get some reinforcement behind the drywall. Foam doesn't really have much structure to it.

Hate it when people doing work skimp like this. How much longer and more expensive would it have been to do this right. Two extra 2x4s?

Last edited by user1007; 05-16-2011 at 10:27 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
the Musigician

Old crack in drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
And cheap paneling will always look like cheap paneling. Unless you hang velvet glow in the dark paintings of Elvis on it.
Oh sure, THAT'LL classy it RIGHT up!

I figure the bullet-biting is the way I have to go too, but hey, it doesn't hurt to ask, maybe someone had some revolutionary trick that they had success with?

Right in the middle of the friggin' wall too.... *sheesh*

DM
Old 05-16-2011, 10:57 AM   #4

Old crack in drywall

Seems to me that you could slice the joint, butter a couple of pieces of scrap about the size of a yard stick with adhesive, pull the loose piece out enough to slip one of these pieces behind the drywall to secure the top half of the joint, hold in place with a screw near the ceiling, slip the second piece behind the drywall to secure the bottom half of the joint, screw them in place, and mud the joint. Maybe not the best way, and you would probably need to put a couple of 4pd nails in the sticks, so that you could keep them centered on the joint and to hold onto while you screw the drywall to the pieces, but it seems like it would be easier than ripping the sheet out.
DexterII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Old crack in drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Right in the middle of the friggin' wall too.... *sheesh*
DM
The good news is you can repair and fix it right. Minimal cost when you think about it. A pain? Of course. You already knew when you posted the answer was not going to be pleasant. Just cannot have 2" by 8-12 feet of drywall flapping around and claim you have a solid wall.

It is hilarious that someone before you taped and mudded the wall as some sort of optical illusion?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
the Musigician

Old crack in drywall

Yeah.... I'm chopping it out now....

I can fix up their mess in an hour, I guess.

Thanks

DM

Dex, your fix might have worked had they left any sort of lip on the left side. But sadly.... no.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #7
the Musigician

Old crack in drywall

Sonofagun! There WAS about a one inch lip! I slipped a 2" strip of plywood behind it and locked it down!
Woohoo! Easier than I thought it would be!

Thanks guys!

DM