Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2013, 11:23 PM   #1

Share |

OK if hot mud doesn't get hot?

I read that hot mud literally gets hot. I even read burn warnings. I mixed three batches but it never got hot even though it set. Do only larger batches get hot? How large? The biggest batch I mixed so far was about 1 lb. The recipe is:

278.5 grams Sheetrock Easy Sand Lightweight Setting-Type Joint Compound (90 minute)

170 grams water

Maybe the faster ones get hotter than the 90 minute. I mixed mine in an old but clean 3 lb. all purpose container with a clean 2" plastic taping knife.

Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:05 AM   #2

It might get a little warm as it's curing, but most of the time you won't notice. If a large batch were to set up in a bucket, you might notice some heat.

Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seattle2k For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (05-16-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
. I even read burn warnings. .
That is from the alkaloids in the mix that will cause a chemical burn not a thermal burn. Or to put it a better way it will or can make soap out of your skin.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

A lot of folks call it "hot" mud, but it's actually a "setting" type compound. It doesn't actually get hot (as has been my experience in the last 35+ years). It's just a name used to mean it sets up quickly. Regular ready-mix compound dries from the outside in. "Quick set", "hot mud", "Durabond", Easysand, etc. all dry by chemical process in a "supposed" length of time. In nearly 40 years, I've never felt any actual "heat" from any of the above mentioned. It's a "nickname" and you have no worries. I get it on my skin all the time and have never been "burned". I would think that's a disclaimer for those who may have a reaction to the chemicals Nailbag was referring to.....
Old 05-20-2013, 07:16 PM   #5

yeah BJ,
I have never had a chemical burn either but there is that chance. so they have to put it on there.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
Drywall contractor

Yeah, I've never spilled coffee in my lap and made a million either. Know where you're coming from!