DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Not sure about using vapor barrier

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  acerunner 
#1 ·
We have enclosed a section of our screened-in porch to make a mudroom/laundry room. We have heard different opinions on whether of not we need to use a vapor barrier under the drywall. We live in northern IN where the winters are cold. What is the right thing to do and if a vapor barrier is needed, do we use it on the ceiling also?

#2 ·
There are many varied opinions these days. Most people are concerned about vapor barriers in basements where concrete or block foundations are involved. I wouldn't use one on wood framed walls. I use glue and nails (you can opt for screws) on wood framing. The vapor barrier over the studs would negate the use of adhesive which adds strength and reduces nail/screw "pops"....

#4 ·
I agree with using faced insulation and was assuming the OP was asking about the plastic. I have to disagree for the reasons stated above from the drywall perspective. It's not done in this area....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.