Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2010, 09:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Non-drywall where drywall should be?

We're in the process of painting and improving our house, which we've owned for a year, and which has many...um..."unique" features. The builder and previous owner thought more highly of their DIY skills than they should have, I think.

So the latest discovery: I'm painting the dining room, and on the exterior wall I noticed the paint along the window seams was coming up. I thought it was drywall tape by the way it felt, but then I was able to start peeling up sheets of two layers of old paint. Under the paint was not drywall, as I had expected, but brown cardboard/particle board (I'm not really sure what the actual name of this stuff is. It feels like the type of material that they use on the back of dressers or entertainment centers, or for the bottom of cheap drawers. Hope this makes sense).

I had refinished the corners of this wall with joint compound, and after a couple of days more cracks would develop, which I'm guessing is because it was the corner edges/seams where this stuff met the drywall. I'm assuming that this could never be smoothed out and more cracks will always come through.

Any idea why they would use such a product? Was this ever a standard wall covering? I don't know a lot about building, but haven't ever seen walls made out of this. And finally, what should I do? I'm worried that the paint job will always look bad and the corners will always have cracks. Would it make more sense just to rip it out and have it drywalled?

Thanks for the help, learning a lot around here!
Brian

bcemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I believe you are talking about masonite.

It will always be prone to cracking because it will shirnk/expand differently than the drywall.

I don't really see a problem with it otherwise as a wall covering. Its basically the same stuff that gets made into the panneling sheets. I've often seen it used as a secondlayer subfloor. It is very paintable too.

you could try a flexable caulking in the corner joint that will take paint. that should solve your problems with the cracking.

forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,028

Tear it out.....
Old 09-20-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Why tear it out? Is it a requirement for interior walls to all be drywall?

DM
Old 09-20-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,028

No, they can be whatever you choose. But if paint won't stick to it and you can't keep joints from cracking, why keep it??? You could go over it with a layer of drywall (or whatever your choice is), but you have jamb thickness to deal with at the doors/windows. It was my understanding the OP was looking for a "drywall-like" finish. What better way to accomplish it than install drywall?
Old 09-23-2010, 09:21 PM   #6
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sorry if misunderstood, I had that as a question because I want to use wood on a few interior walls and was wondering if that would be a problem? I just worded it so I didn't hi-jack this poor guy's thread. *grin*

DM