Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #1

Share |

No studs where they should be

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and have a question about studs behind drywall. I'm mounting a large TV and have successfully done it at 2 other places. But, my new home is driving me crazy.

I use a magnet to find nails, then verify the stud by tapping the wall. I have found 1 stud with no issue.

The problem is finding the second stud. I find more nails 16" away horizontally from the first stud. At those new nails, I find more nails along the vertical line, and there is an outlet on that line. But, once I drill, there is nothing there. I've tried drilling other holes a few 16ths to the side of the purported "stud" as well as a few inches down, but nothing. It's completely mysterious.

For more background, this is an interior wall. The room behind it is a bathroom. I thought about the possibility that the "nails" are actually piping, but the nails are spaced at discrete intervals about 20" apart vertically (i.e. we don't have one continuous magnetic line).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

gilgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #2

I usually start by trying to find a nail in the base molding. Then I'll confirm by driving a 4d finish nail through the wall just near the base. Then I'll plumb up with a level and make another test with the nail. If my test nail doesn't hit a stud I'll try a half inch or so either way. If still nothing then it's toggle time.

Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
DIY staff

Do be careful drilling into a plumbing wall---------

You may want to borrow or buy a stud finder----
Old 10-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Depending on how they framed the wall, it could be 16" o/c from doorways and hallway openings, or where the inside corners meet, vs. 16" o/c from outside to the inside. Now of course, some builders like to go 24" o/c with their framing, and frame like a bunch of drunk sailors, by starting at both ends, then meeting in the middle, with some odd measurement.

You need to use a good Zircon stud finder, not a magnet to find the studs.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #5

When I'm mounting a flat screen I open up the wall.
#1 Makes it easy to run the wiring so it's behind the wall and I can install a recessed outlet and cable box.
#2 I can then let in a backer like a 2 X 6 to mount the TV anyplace so it's centered.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I should clarify that I used a magnetic CH Hanson stud finder that's never failed me before. But, I'll give the Zircon one a try.

Now thinking about it, is there any chance that the drywall would be extra thick for any kind of reason? I'm drilling in 1.5", but that seems to be the only other explanation. All of the evidence shows that there should be a stud there. It's almost like there's a ghost beam there.

I'd hate to open the wall, but might try that as a last resort. Thanks for the ideas.
gilgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

It would be, if some idiot did it for sound deadening reasons, by using two layers of 5/8" and Green glue in between, with clips that hold the first layer off of the studs.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 10-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Drill a hole where the flatscreen will go, and use one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/digital...era-67979.html There are also these that start at $20 http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-End...pection+camera that you connect to a computer.

Last edited by gregzoll; 10-13-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:20 AM   #9

Drill a small hole where the mount will hide it then run a fairly stiff wire in the hole till it hits then measure the wire. Take a very small finish nail put it in the wall see if it hits solid.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #10

I stuck a drill bit in my drywall and marked my studs when I hit them. It gets covered up by the TV. I have all the wires ran in the wall and the surround sound ran in the attic. My cousin is working on his unfinished Attic and can vouch for crappy framing. We measured one wall at 16" 24" 18" and so on. To make it worse the studs are out of line making drywall installation a pain. I guess that's normal though in cookie cutter homes.
big juicy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by big juicy01 View Post
I stuck a drill bit in my drywall and marked my studs when I hit them. It gets covered up by the TV. I have all the wires ran in the wall and the surround sound ran in the attic. My cousin is working on his unfinished Attic and can vouch for crappy framing. We measured one wall at 16" 24" 18" and so on. To make it worse the studs are out of line making drywall installation a pain. I guess that's normal though in cookie cutter homes.
No, that is not normal with Cookie Cutter homes. That is what happens when someone forgets what a tape measure is, and the person building the structure, should have stayed at the fry station, at the McDonald's they were at, before they picked up that hammer.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #12

I call it the Willy wonka house.lol

big juicy01 is offline   Reply With Quote