Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Next phase- drywall!

Hi fellow frustrated members-

so most of you probably don't know this but i have been making threads as we progress through our never ending remodel, and we are finally at the drywall phase!

now my question is given the crazy ceiling we have, is 1/2in normal drywall sufficient? also, do you need to install furring strips or can you just screw directly to the joists? i have never done drywall before so i am trying to read up on it. any other advice is welcomed. thanks!

federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #2

Next phase- drywall!

the joists run straight then angles down

Old 12-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
Disabled wood vet

Next phase- drywall!

Must ceilings are 5/8" (fire code).

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #4

Next phase- drywall!

5/8 is used so the ceiling will not sag. Make sure to use screws not nails.
That's one messed up ceiling right now. I'd pull a string across it in a few place to see how flat those rafters are.
I'd borrow or rent a drywall lift, so much easer to do a ceiling that way. With a lift, one man can install a 4 X 12 sheet by there self and have far less seams.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:02 PM   #5

Next phase- drywall!

thanks for the reply guys!
so i need 5/8th not 1/2in. also, i have never done this before. can i just screw the sheets up myself, and have someone else finish it? finishing just means taping the seams and mudding right?
Old 12-13-2011, 07:07 PM   #6

Next phase- drywall!

also, should adhesive be used in addition to screws?
Old 12-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #7

Next phase- drywall!

Simple enought to hang and finish, it just takes a little practice to get good at it.
First you have to figure out the best way to run it and all seams must meet in the middle of a rafter so take a few min. to see where the sheet will end up, it's easy to just cut some off if the rafters were laid out wrong, you never want to end up with just a narrow strip any place.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:12 PM   #8
Disabled wood vet

Next phase- drywall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by federer View Post
also, should adhesive be used in addition to screws?
No glue. Maker sure the screws counter-sink 1/16" without tearing the paper. Finishers get very upset if they have to carry a screw fun around with them.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #9

Next phase- drywall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Simple enought to hang and finish, it just takes a little practice to get good at it.
First you have to figure out the best way to run it and all seams must meet in the middle of a rafter so take a few min. to see where the sheet will end up, it's easy to just cut some off if the rafters were laid out wrong, you never want to end up with just a narrow strip any place.
yea the ceiling is all messed up. how do i fix it if it's not even all the way across? so i cant just line them up and cut what i need for the remaining space?
Old 12-13-2011, 07:15 PM   #10

Next phase- drywall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanoman View Post
No glue. Maker sure the screws counter-sink 1/16" without tearing the paper. Finishers get very upset if they have to carry a screw fun around with them.
so no glue. whats a screw fun? screw gun? i am thinking about hanging it myself and have someone finish. also, how do you do the edges? you need to use one of those corner metal pieces right
Old 12-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #11
Disabled wood vet

Next phase- drywall!

Quote:
so no glue. whats a screw fun? screw gun? i am thinking about hanging it myself and have someone finish. also, how do you do the edges? you need to use one of those corner metal pieces right
The tapers will put metal where ever they want it, like where the ceiling goes from flat to angled.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #12

Next phase- drywall!

Quote:
The tapers will put metal where ever they want it, like where the ceiling goes from flat to angled.
sorry i dont know anything here-so the metal pieces are for lining up the edge of the drywall, and can be put anywhere not just at the corners?
Old 12-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #13
Disabled wood vet

Next phase- drywall!

Quote:
sorry i dont know anything here-so the metal pieces are for lining up the edge of the drywall, and can be put anywhere not just at the corners?
I think you're talking about "corner bead", for wall corners. The reason they probably would use it where I said is because it makes for nice straight lines at the transition when taped.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #14

Question

Next phase- drywall!

Quote:
I think you're talking about "corner bead", for wall corners. The reason they probably would use it where I said is because it makes for nice straight lines at the transition when taped.
yea for where the drywall meets the wall. but you are saying they can use it at the spot where the angles forms too right? also, what kind of screws do i use? tehres different kinds of drywall screws right
Old 12-13-2011, 07:36 PM   #15
Disabled wood vet

Next phase- drywall!

Quote:
yea for where the drywall meets the wall. but you are saying they can use it at the spot where the angles forms too right? also, what kind of screws do i use? tehres different kinds of drywall screws right
No metal where the ceiling meets the wall. Only where the ceiling goes from flat to angled. Standard 1 5/8" drywall screws.