Newbie Question..removing Plaster To Drywall - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2011, 04:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

newbie question..removing plaster to drywall

I just bought a house and it has plaster (I assume horsehair plaster), the house was built in the EARLY 1900's.

I want to remove the plaster and put up drywall, I know one thing from reading lots of internet things about removing plaster...ITS MESSSSYYY and DUSTY.

My question is this if (if anyone has dealt with this) What if I would soak the plaster with water....would it be easier (but heavier) to remove off the wall and cut off in small sections

This winter i have found that my house is FULL of drafts and something has to be done this summer.

Any ideas?

Advertisement

jstar571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:10 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,280

Forget the water--strong fans in the windows--two layers of heavy plastic on the floors---tape off the doorways---wear a good respirator--and a hat--start removing.

Advertisement

ben's plumbing (12-18-2011), Gymschu (12-19-2011)
Old 12-18-2011, 09:26 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

What oh'Mike said, plus, if you are not physically STRONG, I would seriously recommend hiring this out. Even if its only the first floor, its back breaking work. If you do tackle it, get a couple of joint compound buckets, and load them evenly, but not too full. This makes it a lot easier to carry out all the busted up plaster, since they buckets balance each other. Also, if you are getting rid of the lathe, check around in your area for someone who wants the lathe strips. You might get lucky and find someone who is willing to remove it for you.

Last edited by 1910NE; 12-18-2011 at 09:29 AM.
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1910NE For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (12-19-2011), oh'mike (12-18-2011)
Old 12-18-2011, 02:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

I have done just what you are planning on doing. If your floors are to be saved, you will need more than plastic on them to protect them, old carpeting turned upside down or plywood. If you do it room by room and plastic off the door ways then you can minimize the mess. You can also buy a plastic zipper to make a doorway for easier in and out access. I used a flat blade shovel on the walls after I had banged off some plaster. I then had to remove the lathe. Keeping them separate proved a good idea as I burned the lathe and took the plaster to the landfill. Also when replacing with drywall, do a check on just how thick the old plaster was around doorways and windows so when placing new drywall it matches up well with no shims for trim needed.
fixrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:02 PM   #5

Im in way over my head so I am just trying to think ahead of what I COULD DO. Im just tryin to think of the best...easiest way to work on it ugh. I do know I need to get plastic and cover the floor and vents.

I am afraid to see how much a contractor would charge to remove the walls and put up normal walls. So I am thinking do it myself.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,604

we have done way to many of these....what we do is cover the floor with 1/4" underlayment seams taped,then layer of rosin paper stapled down..now just apply what oh mike said and others.....are you done yet if its on the 2nd floor we build a shoot to dumpster...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 256

Using 5 gallon buckets to put the plaster in is a good idea. I also used a rope to lower the full buckets to the ground. A ladder placed outside the window allows you keep interior door closed. Use the ladder. You will be amazed at how filthy you get removing the plaster, espcially from the ceiling. This is also a good time to upgrade windows, wiring and insulation.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:00 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,052

I'd blow-in cellulose if new wiring is not accessible from below or above. Plaster/lath is 8# per square foot....... cheap furnace filters in front of the fans blowing out, smaller cardboard boxes lined up under the demo area to catch the material (easier than shoveling it up) and along the wall (baseboard removed for close encounter), toss them when full, remember small boxes... No water, unless you dehydrate.

Gary
Old 12-18-2011, 10:42 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 524

The key though to the demolition is to cut out the areas with a concrete or masonry blade in a saw or a small right angle grinder. I use a 4 1/2" right angle grinder for all kinds of stuff like this so I keep a diamond blade in it and even use it to cut tile. These grinders only cost 40 dollars or less and can quickly become a remodelerís go to tool in bathroom and kitchen re-dos. Also cover up the room and wear a dust mask as you will make a lot of dust.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:11 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 852

man i wish i saw this. i just tore off the plaster ceilings in the entire upstairs. the mess is incredible. you can DIY it but it is tough work. we just had old carpet on the floor and that worked out. the hard part is transporting them out, and keeping dust down. in my case dust went everywhere.

use a hammer and you can bang out sections at a time.
federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,296

Some of the old plasters contained harmful additives so definitely "mask up" to keep from sucking the nasties into your lungs.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:07 AM   #12

Thanks for the ideas... When I start this I'll be posting
Old 01-07-2012, 05:02 AM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,236

Nobody asked, why?
You are going to ruin the value of your home.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:08 AM   #14

chrisn, I'm unsure of your question. The main reason I want to is because there is no insulation in the walls and the electrical outlets are at foot level compared to knee level. Unless you have a suggestion I'm am more then willing to listen to others
Old 01-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #15
Not so new

Rewards Points: 504

New electric can be run and insulation can be added without tearing down plaster.

Thing is...you have to call contractors in those trades to get estimates, then you can make an informed decision onwhich path to take.

Advertisement

12penny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
old house , plaster wall , plaster walls