Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Newbie/DIY drywaller- how many sins will mud cover?

Hi all,
I started hanging drywall (exterior/foundation/stud-framed walls) this weekend in three rooms we're finishing in our basement.

I feel kind of clueless about lining everything up, but I'm really enjoying doing it myself. A couple sheets of drywall just didn't line up flush to their partners, so I took a utility knife and shaved the edges of one or the other a little to get them to fit.

Question: Can mud, then drywall tape, then mud smoothed on top, dried, sanded, then re-mudded (second or third coat) effectively mask some of this rough-edge stuff? There are several places where there's a half inch gap between rock --- so exposed stud is the first thing seen through these gaps (1/2" below the surface of either sheet).

Is it a matter of packing mud into all the jagged cracks (to the R13 insulation plastic and /or stud) and being sure it's tight? And if the mud would be sticking to Johns Manville plastic R13 insulation liner vs. wood stud, should I cut out the plastic and make sure the mud is sticking on wood instead? / not sure if mud adhered to thin plastic liner is worse than mud contacting stud.

I'm hoping I can mud this job right, so that the jagged cracks/gaps cover and stay that way (hopefully don't crack over time). I don't Think I'm in over my head, but appreciate ideas on a best way to approach the mud/compound phase, considering some rough edges between sheets of rock. (I hope my lingo makes sense ;o)

Thanks,
Mike

mike dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,990

Somethings very wrong if you have 1/2 wide gaps and all that other stuff is exposed.
Sure could use a picture.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Somethings very wrong if you have 1/2 wide gaps and all that other stuff is exposed.
Sure could use a picture.

Thanks joecaption- (nice to see a Virginia neighbor on the forum / we're in North Carolina)

I'm attaching three pictures. One shows slight cracks between sheets below a window. The second pic shows the biggest crack. Third pic shows a more flush install in another room (*butted against the fireplace, which is square!)

I figured out why the crack occurred: I positioned the drywall against the old, wood panel existing wall
--- Well, the old wall is not level, top to bottom. e.g., it has a bow or warp at the top! So the drywall was straight, but seated/butted against a warp. And apparently there was enough play between the top joists, and the bottom 1/2" piece of wood that I was seating the bottom of the drywall sheets on top of, to allow the shift in flushness (the entire sheet to go off-level/ off kilter).

Hope this makes some sort of sense. Now I'm wondering (if mud won't stick/fill this gap) if there's some kind of putty or wood product that could jump / fill that gap.

Thanks,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Newbie/DIY drywaller- how many sins will mud cover?-c-flush.jpg   Newbie/DIY drywaller- how many sins will mud cover?-crack-non-flush.jpg   Newbie/DIY drywaller- how many sins will mud cover?-crack-window.jpg  
Old 03-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #4

Couple of issues I see how do you plan on finishing that ceiling?
If it's going to be rocked it needs to be done first. Vert important to do it that way.
#2 It's very important to keep the sheet rock about 1/2 off that floor.
If not water will wick up the sheetrock.
The gaps around the window are no big deal because you still have to add jamb extentions and trim.
When starting in a corner it's very important to get that first sheet plumb, if not the rest of the sheets are going to be off. That piece should have been scrib to fit in the corner where it would not show.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

ahhhhhh nooo! not vertical sheets!!! just kidding
something is definitely wrong out of square for a sheet to be out that much.
take it down remeasure, cut and try to get it a bit closer.
1/4" should be your max gap in your boards.
get sheetrock(easy sand) 20,45,90 and do a prefill before you apply your tape.
also it looks like you butchered the drywall around the plug! looks like you measured off the floor which is a big no no!
stick a piece of plywood in your hacked out hole and screw it to the drywall. cut out a piece to fit the hole and screw it to the wood you stuck in the whole. prefill then apply your tape over the crack.

Last edited by princelake; 03-24-2013 at 09:47 PM.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Couple of issues I see how do you plan on finishing that ceiling?
If it's going to be rocked it needs to be done first. Vert important to do it that way.
#2 It's very important to keep the sheet rock about 1/2 off that floor.
If not water will wick up the sheetrock.
The gaps around the window are no big deal because you still have to add jamb extentions and trim.
When starting in a corner it's very important to get that first sheet plumb, if not the rest of the sheets are going to be off. That piece should have been scrib to fit in the corner where it would not show.

Thanks Joe! Ceiling will be Armstrong 2 x 2 foot drop grid. FIL is bringing rotary laser level in a couple weeks - for a ceiling install party-- beer included ;o) Rock is exactly 1/2 off the floor. I ripped a special 1/2 thick by 48 inch long woodpiece from a 2x4. I'm sitting it on the floor, and sitting the bottom of each sheet on it when I position/hang the sheets. Exactly 1/2 inch off the floor. The first sheet I hanged was the one way out of flush, so it was all downhill from there;o) Thanks for your help/ideas! Mike
Old 03-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by princelake View Post
ahhhhhh nooo! not vertical sheets!!! just kidding
something is definitely wrong out of square for a sheet to be out that much.
take it down remeasure, cut and try to get it a bit closer.
1/4" should be your max gap in your boards.
get sheetrock(easy sand) 20,45,90 and do a prefill before you apply your tape.
also it looks like you butchered the drywall around the plug! looks like you measured off the floor which is a big no no!
stick a piece of plywood in your hacked out hole and screw it to the drywall. cut out a piece to fit the hole and screw it to the wood you stuck in the whole. prefill then apply your tape over the crack.

Thanks princelake! Drywall butchering definitely occurred in my basement this weekend ;o) Great suggestion about covering the hacked out hole. I might need to use that tip on another one (or two) hacked outlet holes ;o) Learning curve will level out here sometime, right?!
Old 03-24-2013, 11:52 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 518

well first time doing it just a little out of square.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #9

Also never use a string line to mark drywall, now it's one more step to get that off for mudding and paint.
Use a drywall square and a fine pencil line instead.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 518

Just a after thought. One of the well the main reason I advocate for not doing vertical hanging is your going to have a fun time if this is your first time mudding and taping. When you get to those inside conners your going to have a beveled edge to deal with not a butt edge your going to have to really build that out. Just saying.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,230

Probably what happened is the corner where you started is not square and that threw every thing off. That is too large a gap to repair with mud. You may be able to loosen that sheet and bring it out a little 1/4" from the corner that would close the gap by 1/4". Now you have a 1/4" gap in the corner and 1/4" gap between the boards these can be filled with hot mud (easy sand 90 powder mixed with water) when dry mud and tape as normal. As for the butchered wall plug they make a patch for that but I forget who makes it check Allwall.com or google drywall patch for elec. outlet. GOOD LUCK
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 150

That one gap in pic 2 sure is big. Can you just take down that one sheet (the one that goes from the gap to the corner) and tweak the bottom out from the corner? i.e. does it go behind the one that turns the corner, or butt up to it?

SquishyBall is offline   Reply With Quote