Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-06-2010, 06:50 AM   #1

Share |

Newbie from Canada - Drywall Corner Bead Question

Hello everyone:
I am a retired educator...now working in converting our basement from "storage" space to living space.
I have done everything up to drywalling.(gypsum or plasterboard to some of you.)
I am in the process of constructing some pass-throughs in a couple of walls.
So, here is my question. I know to install metal beading to all vertical wall corners. I also would like to install metal beading where the drywall meets around the wall openings(both sides of the walls) in the pass-throughs. There are horizontal surfaces meeting vertical surfaces. How do I deal with these three way corners ?
Should I miter the outside flanges? Or should I just leave them straight cut and fill and feather with spackling compound?

Shelly A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:55 AM   #2
DIY staff

Welcome--Sounds like a miter is the best plan.

Silly tip on attaching the metal corner bead---I use a small crown stapler.
Done it that way for years without a problem---Mike---

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
Shelly A. (06-06-2010)
Old 06-06-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Greetings and Welcome.

Moving your post & question over to the Drywall area.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

With snips, cut only the flat flanges. Do NOT cut the rounded parts of the bead. The bead should remain one full piece with 4 cuts in it when it is ready to install (assuming countertop on the bottom and bead on top and sides only, and that the piece of bead is long enough to span all three measurements) If not long enough, plan to do this just about like shown except that you may have to butt the bead overhead in the middle of the pass-thru. And each end will consist of two pieces meeting in the center, overhead.

This takes careful measuring and clean cutting.

Have someone help you lift the kind of floppy three-section wrapping into place, and fasten it. One of these goes on each side of the pass thru. Be VERY careful lifting it or it will break, and you will have lost the continuous corners formed by the uncut rounded parts.

The drawings show how the rounded part stays intact, forming the turns. (Sorry, that's the best I could do with the drawings.)

What you will create is, of course, much, much bigger and way longer than shown here. This is just to give you the idea.

You will only make two (2) cuts instead of 4, if you are trying the bended flange method described below.
For practice, take a one foot piece of bead, and make a couple of flange cuts right in the center.... do NOT cut the rounded part. This will let you see what you are trying to do with the double cut, triple section piece. (How you form a smooth, continuious corner by carefully bending the bead after cutting the flanges.) Sometimes you may need to trim the flange edges a little bit more than the initial cut.

You can also use this one foot piece to fit into the corners, and then measure for the remaining distance that will make the full run needed to span your distances... just add the measurement to the 6" or so of the little practice piece.

WARNING: Bend these pieces too many times and the tiny rounded part you did not cut WILL break. Handle this thing carefully... it is quite delicate until installed. Then it is fine, like a rock.

NOTE: Some installers do not cut the side of the flange that will be inside the pass-thru. They just bend it. The whole thing stays together better doing it this way... BUT it takes some skill to get the uncut flange bent just right the first time. You might want to try it that way. Who knows, you might have the required touch. In fact, if you have some scrap bead, DO try it this way first. It really is easier once you get the hang of it. (Just be aware of which flange you are going to cut, and which one you are not.)

Here's another hint for corner bead, in general: Using your snips, nip off all your 90 degree corners about 3/8" (9 -10 mm) back in with an angle cut. The loped off corners will lay down much better than the 90 degree corners. The 90 degree corners tend to curl outwards, into the room, when the fasteners force them to bend some. I have shown all my drawings with 90 degree corners. My bad. I apologize. Nip them off on your bead flanges.
Attached Thumbnails
Newbie from Canada - Drywall Corner Bead Question-d-w-bead-1.jpg   Newbie from Canada - Drywall Corner Bead Question-d-w-bead-2.jpg   Newbie from Canada - Drywall Corner Bead Question-d-w-bead-3.jpg   Newbie from Canada - Drywall Corner Bead Question-d-w-bead-4.jpg  

Last edited by Willie T; 06-07-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-06-2010)
Old 06-11-2010, 02:31 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

Cutting them straight and butting will work just fine.