Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2011, 11:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New walls, old ceiling with texture... do I tape?

Hey all,

I'm redoing a bathroom and took down all the walls. I left the ceiling because its in fine shape, and aside from adding a new can light above the shower... I wasn't changing anything else up there.

The ceiling is sand-textured, and I'll be putting drywall back up in the same places and running tile up to the ceiling in the tub alcove (after putting up backer board).

Due to the sand-textured ceiling, when I butt the wall boards up to the ceiling... there will be no good way to tape the seam between the wall and ceiling. What's my best option here? Take the ceiling down and redo it too... just caulk it???

Thanks for the help!

rodney23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:36 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

unless you are going to put up crown molding, you need to tape it. even then...tape would be best.

1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:00 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

If there is no gap, I would caulk it. If there is a gap you can do what is called "tape to". That is when you put tape on the wall with taping mud and push the tape up tight to the ceiling to elminate the gap (larger than 1/8 inch gaps should be prefilled first before taping). Then once you have a tight corner then you caulk.

Taping the corner would be the best for an ideal situation, but we don't always have that option.
redmanblackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
Drywall Texture Pro in Fl

Rewards Points: 154

how big is the bathroom ceiling and do you like the sand finish that is already there. that is the question you need to ask. If you like it then "tape to" or "flat tape" as others may call it. a bead of caulk will help greatly. Otherwise tear it down and do a complete remodel of the walls.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoner529 View Post
how big is the bathroom ceiling and do you like the sand finish that is already there. that is the question you need to ask. If you like it then "tape to" or "flat tape" as others may call it. a bead of caulk will help greatly. Otherwise tear it down and do a complete remodel of the walls.
Thanks all for the ideas/suggestions.

I'd rather not re-do the ceiling... it's not a very large bathroom... but being a beginner at drywall, I'd rather not tackle the ceiling my first time out. The sand-paint texture is just fine... its not popcorn... so its not bad.

As for the "tape to" method... even if you had a gap of less than an 1/8"... wouldn't the edge of the tape be a weak point? Meaning... wouldn't any pressure on that cause the tape to bend or deform.... or does the joint compound you lay the tape in stiffen everything up enough to keep that from happening? Sorry if these are dumb questions... but like I said, I'm a beginner.

~Rodney
Old 02-09-2011, 10:32 PM   #6
Drywall Texture Pro in Fl

Rewards Points: 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodney23 View Post
Thanks all for the ideas/suggestions.

I'd rather not re-do the ceiling... it's not a very large bathroom... but being a beginner at drywall, I'd rather not tackle the ceiling my first time out. The sand-paint texture is just fine... its not popcorn... so its not bad.

As for the "tape to" method... even if you had a gap of less than an 1/8"... wouldn't the edge of the tape be a weak point? Meaning... wouldn't any pressure on that cause the tape to bend or deform.... or does the joint compound you lay the tape in stiffen everything up enough to keep that from happening? Sorry if these are dumb questions... but like I said, I'm a beginner.

~Rodney

Do you plan on poking your finger through the top of drywall on a daily basis?

It should be fine.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Put a layer of 1/4" over the existing ceiling....
Old 02-13-2011, 01:43 PM   #8

this is something that should of been considered before hand.
you went that far with the walls you should of replaced ceiling

now you can do it right or just make it work.

Do it right:
- put second layer on it or

-if i was you at this point i would tape the corner of the wall and ceiling like you would normally and then skim coat ceiling untill smooth, and finish walls accordingly.

some of the caulk and flat tape ideas might work just not the way it should be done. good luck
southshoreconst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by southshoreconst View Post
this is something that should of been considered before hand.
you went that far with the walls you should of replaced ceiling

now you can do it right or just make it work.

Do it right:
- put second layer on it or

-if i was you at this point i would tape the corner of the wall and ceiling like you would normally and then skim coat ceiling untill smooth, and finish walls accordingly.

some of the caulk and flat tape ideas might work just not the way it should be done. good luck
Well...

The good news is that I haven't put the drywall on the walls yet... so there's still plenty of time to change things.

I don't like the second layer idea as we have low ceilings as it is (70" from sub-floor to drywalled ceiling). So... while adding a 1/4 inch doesn't sound like much... its likely that I'll just rip down what's up there and put up new drywall. Its not a huge bathroom... so the expense is only another 2-3 sheets. In the end... probably easier than struggling with the other ideas about taping up to it and it'll look "right".

Thanks all!

~Rodney
Old 02-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #10

ok i hope thats a typo

70" ceiling height??????
5'10"???? thats what the height is???

i hope you meant 7' and your in the basement
southshoreconst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by southshoreconst View Post
ok i hope thats a typo

70" ceiling height??????
5'10"???? thats what the height is???

i hope you meant 7' and your in the basement

Yes... typo...

anyway... the ceiling's down... now to put the new one up!

~rodney
Old 02-14-2011, 08:47 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 500

If you cannot match the ceiling texture afeter properly taping the wall to ceiling intersection, or skim the ceiling,I think you made the right decision to replace the ceiling.

The tape to thing is a new one to me.

Crown is a possibilty in some cases with just a fire break bed of mud which is hidden by the crown. The mud and tape does not have to be anywhere near perfect if using crown because it hidden.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:38 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 75

Thank you for replacing the ceiling. There are lots of good taping videos on youtube. Make it nice and smooth

masterofall is offline   Reply With Quote