Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2010, 07:04 PM   #1

Share |

new home with visible drywall seams

New to this forum and my first post is not a DIY one. It has to do with industry standards.

We are having a house built and now that the ceiling is painted I can notice numerous seams. It may just be that the priming wasn't done well as it seems to be more of a variance in color but on the ceiling we can't run our hands across & feel it.
Who would I contact about industry standards if this becomes a problem? I have a feeling it might as when talking with the foreman he said "you're gonna see some seams" and I stated, "you shouldn't see any". He'll talk to his boss and hopefully it will be taken care of. When is being picky on this too picky?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

royhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:45 PM   #2

Was the drywall taper aware that the ceiling would be painted?
It usually takes an extra coat of mud and sanding for paint grade level of finish, otherwise they might assume the ceiling was being stippled.

And was it primed at all?

Talk to the Boss...

Customer service is like making love to a Gorilla, you don't stop when you are satisfied, you stop when ... well, you get the picture...

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply! The mudders were well aware of the finish that was to used. It is the same in all the other rooms and they all look fine. I think the problem is with the painters and not the mudders.
Are there local boards that would mediate such issues other than the BBB?
Old 03-17-2010, 10:16 AM   #4

Bring it up to the builder (or general) now. Its as easy as dont close on the house until the problems are taken care of. They want to close, they want to get paid and not have to make payments on the construction loan any more than they have to.

I had many issues like this when my house was built. except the builder for us was soooo shty that when we brought the items up during construction they would play the blame game. by the time it got fixed they had to have many trades come back in to fix it.
baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:07 PM   #5

pictures would help.

It is very normal to be able to spot seams through a freshly painted new drywalled ceiling. Paint will dry a bit more slowly at seams, but good quality paint should blend once all paint has dried. Was the paint rolled or sprayed?

LOL... problem is: now that you know where the seams are... you may always see them... eye//mind thing...

You mentioned you could not feel the seams....
Might be how the light hits the ceiling...

get some fresh trusted eyes to check out the ceiling..

Most contractors know that they are not done until you are smiling.
The ceiling may just need another coat of paint.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #6

Tried to take pictures but between no power yet, over cast day and the flash none really showed the problems.

I'm well aware of now that we know of the problem we may always notice it. Use to do carpet repair and I'd tell my clients that if they looked hard enough they'd probably notice the repair. But those who never knew of the original problem would never notice the repair.

They attempted repairing the worst two seams but with little success. I informed them today that we won't sign off at our rapidly approaching closing unless the ceiling looks like a new ceiling and not a repaired one and was told they'd take care of it this week.

Would the State Board of Contractors be the place to get local leverage if need be? BTW this is a new development by one of the largest "production" builders in the nation.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:16 PM   #7

No, there's no board that'll mediate this for you, as it is a quality/aesthetics issue and not a safety/code issue. Shouldn't be any need for that with a well established builder anyway. You shouldn't be able to see the seams in a properly and professionally finished wall or ceiling. If you do some looking into the BBB, you'll find that they're a pay-to-play organization anyway, which takes away a lot of their credibility in my book.

Honestly, you need to let the repairs take their course. You're obligated to let the builder make a full attempt to make it look good. If their field staff isn't doing that then you need to contact the boss or the project manager. I think it is premature and slightly ridiculous to consider BBB reporting or contacting the state contractor licensing board at this stage in the game, and threatening the builder with either sure as heck won't get you their best work on the remainder of the project. Show appreciation for their efforts and nicely let them know that they're not acceptable thus far. Honestly the state board will laugh this off and forget about it in about 10 seconds.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:20 PM   #8

ROYHILL said " Would the State Board of Contractors be the place to get local leverage if need be? BTW this is a new development by one of the largest "production" builders in the nation."

The State Board might be like using a cannon to plinck at cans..

You have the power of the check book.... thats like an A bomb.

Big Builders are only as good as the mechanics doing the work.

Also means they have a lawyer on staff.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:03 PM   #9

I've been very respectful and and appreciative in all my communications with them. I wholly plan on giving them the opportunity to make things right and have never broached the subject of "reporting" them. But since they have pretty much ignored this concern before and then did an unacceptable fix I just would like to know if push comes to shove who/what/how are my options.

We are already a month behind and continue to rack up storage and rent expenses so while we are anxious to close it is the only card we hold.

Thanks for the replies!

Last edited by royhill; 03-22-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:14 PM   #10
Drywall contractor

You can also withhold funds AT closing until the repairs are made to your satisfaction. I'd be interested to see the situation, but I'd bet "critical lighting" is playing a big part. That is a drywall man's worst enemy.
I remember a house from years back that had a wall of mostly glass on the exterior wall. We were not informed that the walls were to be painted with ("Hunter Green") eggshell paint, so a level 5 finish was not applied. Many of the joints showed, even though they were smooth. Then when the swimming pool was filled and the afternoon sun hit it......Holy ?><{":?>:!! We ended up glaze-coating the entire room, after it was re-primed.
That may be the solution to your problem also, but it is not standard practice. The sanded mud on the joints is actually smoother than the face paper on the drywall and the light will show that difference. Adding another coat of mud on the joint isn't the solution....
Old 03-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #11

This is a very popular model and our neighbor also has one that is finished. Both have a wall of glass sliders and are facing the same direction. Both are painted a "builders white" and both are a knock down texture.

The only diffence is that on theirs there are no noticable seams and on ours there is.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:55 PM   #12
Drywall contractor

Again, sight unseen it's hard to tell what's going on, especially with a texture....
It seems like it would almost HAVE to be a lighting issue if it's ceiling joints that are showing. Is there anything outside that is reflecting light up on the ceiling?? You say you can't feel and problem with the joints, but with a texture I'm sure you can't.
"Thinking out loud" again, it COULD be a paint issue. If the ceilings weren't properly primed, the joints can "flash" due to the inconsistent absorption of the paint. (The joints tend to absorb moisture faster than the drywall paper). Not usually an issue with plain old flat ceiling white. And I"m assuming the ceiling HAS been painted. Some textures are considered a finished product (stipple and "popcorn" spray) and are not usually painted until re-paint time. I've only done knock-down a couple of times when I finished the joints in a couple of "modular homes" where the two halves were joined together. I assume the builder painted when I was done....
Sorry I can't be of more help.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:02 PM   #13

At the moment the only light is natural light as theres no power yet. There is nothing outside to reflect light as it's still just dirt.

My feeling is it is a priming problem and if so now that it has been textured and painted how should it be corrected?
Old 03-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #14
Drywall contractor

The only way I know of would be to scrape/sand the texture smooth and glaze the entire surface. Then re-prime and paint. I doubt your builder will want to go to that extent to correct the problem. You have leverage with your checkbook though. Has anyone spoken with the painters yet to see what their opinion is or if they'll confirm the priming was done?? Just another thought.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #15

Thanks for all your replies! I have no idea of what conversations the builder has had with the painters but one would think that since this is one of a hundred or so homes they have done in thier own developments they'd have the process down. Guess I'll cross my fingers and hope what ever they are doing will turn out OK. Hate to postpone closing but correcting this after we move in would be very inconvenient to all.