New Guy Needs Drywall Advice - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2012, 11:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

new guy needs drywall advice

Is there an easy way to calculate how much drywall i will need for a 4700 sq ft home? Just a rough
Estimate will do. I'm thinking on buying an old 1900's brick home that has 4 levels. A basement, 1st and 2nd floors, and attic. It needs drywall in every room. The 4700 is just the first and second floor, basement and attic don't need any.

Advertisement

ddavis14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 672

For a house that size you would be nuts to try and do it on your own.
Make some calls to some rockers and have them tell you how much it's going to take.
There going to be able to do it far faster and have it come out better so your ready for painting and not spending weeks working on this.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:30 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Well call me crazy but i don't want to fork over the extra money when me and a buddy can do it. I was just wondering if there's a ole trick of some sort to get a rough estimate without measuring every room. Thanks for the reply.
ddavis14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:41 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 672

Ever done a whole house before?
There just no way to guess at it. Measure and add at least 10% waste, that's the way people that do this for a living do it.
5/8 on the ceilings, 1/2" on the walls, green board or paperless in the bathrooms.
For a job that size buying a drywall lift to do the ceilings would make since then sell it on Craigs list.
Instead of a drywall gun I'd buy two Ryobi impact drill drivers. Not going to believe how handy that one tool will be later on.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:35 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,030

You can in some areas get 1/2" ceiling drywall.
And get a drywall gun it is made to properly push the drywall and set the screws.
Get some books, do a google and youtube search, you will learn lots.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8qSC...yer_detailpage
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

This is how I'm estimating mine and I've never drywalled before and I'm new to the forum so take it with a grain of salt. (I was actually going to post about asking if I should try to drywall a ~2100 sqft house - husband and I - but I think the first post sort of answered that...) Anyways, the house we are buying is a rectangle shape (39x26 downstairs and 39x27 upstairs) and two stories. Anyways maybe someone can chime in if this is an ok method for estimating instead of measuring every nook and cranny. there is one hallway that runs in the middle of the upstairs, (39*6*8) (6 because 2 outer walls and the hallways get dry walled on both sides 8 is the ceiling height) + (27*8*8) (outer walls + 2 walls separating the rooms + the downstairs is just divided into 4 quadrants (39*4*4) +(26*4*8). for the ceilings just do the footprint 39*26*2. Can someone say if this is an ok method to estimate? should I actually measure each wall?
laorquidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 256

For the amount you two posters are talking about doing you might get a rep from the supply house to take a look and give you an estimate. You are going to get a better price from the supply house as well and they will deliver.

If I were doing it myself I would try and be real meticulous with the measuring and end up 10% short or 30% over
7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 7echo For This Useful Post:
laorquidia (07-18-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 93

Most realtors that I've ever dealt with always do rough measurements of all the rooms of their properties. Use those to figure out how many sheets you need, or you can plug each room size into Home Depot's drywall calculator http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...6-90d3cea20878

Drywall is pretty easy and fast to hang if you have perfect walls and studs. My guess is that in an early 1900's house you'll be dealing with a lot of imperfections, and you could end up spending as much time shimming and preparing as you do actual hanging. I just got done drywalling a 220 sq ft room in what I think is a 1940ish building, and as a drywall newbie it took me 3 days to finish, working mostly alone. None of the studs were 16 oc, they all had more or less random spacing, and I had a lot of framing imperfections to deal with. I couldn't use a full sheet anywhere, and some sheets had to be cut on 3 sides to make up for out of square framing. That kind of stuff takes a lot of time. If you have a bunch of smaller rooms you could end up doing a lot of it.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but just be prepared that this could be a lot of work depending on what your framing looks like under the existing finish. When you're done though, you'll be a pretty mean drywaller!
LVDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LVDIY For This Useful Post:
laorquidia (07-18-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 512

it'd only take about a hour to walk to each room and figure it out. right on a piece of paper 8, 10, 12. then 8, 10, 12 for green board and make a tick for each sheet needed and you can also count the corner bead for each room the same way. and get your buddy to take a floor to. then when you order the board and the goons that deilver it can put the right amount of boards in each room for you.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to princelake For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-21-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #10
retired union carpenter

Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

you'll have to figure out the square footage of drywall needed, is each floor 4700 square feet? that's9400 square feet on ceilings alone. then add footage of all walls to be done and double it, ( both sides) add all together and divide by 48 for 12 foot sheets? add 20% for mistakes/out of square rooms. and you should be in the right ball park for ordering drywall. don't forget nails/screws and glue!

good luck
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to coupe For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (07-19-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

It would take you less time to go around with a pen, piece of paper and tape-measuring the board footage, than spend the time on here trying to figure out an easier way.

Try and get the longest boards you can to eliminate butt joints, they are harder to finish- especially if you haven't done much drywall work before.
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #12
I make love to my walls

Rewards Points: 25

Take the square footage of the house and multiply by 3.7 This number should be close to the square footage of drywall you will need. Divide by the square footage of the sheets you want to use. Example 4700 sqft home will need 17,390 sqft of drywall which comes out to be 362 4 x 12 sheets. This is only for estimation. You will still need to measure the house before you order your drywall to figure out where you will use standups and 16' sheets. Figure a box of screws for every 150 sheets, a case of tape for every 200 sheets and a bucket of mud for every 10 sheets.
Arey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arey85 For This Useful Post:
BabsHoney (08-28-2012), mae-ling (07-22-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 01:13 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,030

Usefull 'ballpark' estimate.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,704

just buy a bunch. then, when that is used up, go buy some more.
Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fix'n it For This Useful Post:
DangerMouse (07-22-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #15
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

Arey85 has the correct formula (I always multiply by 3.8) IF it's standard 8' ceilings. If there are vaults, trey ceilings, etc. multiply by 4. You'll need approx. 18,000 sq.ft. of board if you've got 8' ceilings. However, when you actually get ready to stock the house, go room by room and measure to get the lengths you need to minimize joints. A 13'-6" wall (or ceiling) would take 14' board. A 9'-8" wall would take 10' board. and so on. As stated above, buy from a drywall supply and delivery is included and the board is put in the house, not dropped in the driveway....

Advertisement