Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2008, 08:33 AM   #1

Share |

New drywall project - cleanup question

I'm getting ready to start ripping out all of the old walls and plaster at an investment property. The last time I did a drywall project the biggest pain in the butt was clean up. I got a roll off, so that's not an issue. But getting the broken up plaster and wood to said roll off was a pain. I even used the heavy duty contractor bags, but I had a lot of bags rip or completely bust open, which created more clean up and more wasted time. When I was at Ace a couple of days ago I saw a new contractor bag called Demobags. It claims to be a lot stronger and tear resistant and reusable. I think it said it could handle something like 100 pounds. Anyone ever use these? Any other ideas? I'd appreciate any insights.
ShawnPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 03:33 PM   #2

Try garbage cans or wheel barows(sp?)
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:36 PM   #3

Only problem with either of those is that you fill it up and make one dump per trip. Plus I can tell you from experience that I'll dump a wheel barrow at least once going down the steps

If it wasn't for a privacy fence I would've had the rolloff next to the house.

Also, I need to remove an old cast-iron tub from the second floor. Any suggestions outside of hiring the local high school football team?
Old 08-23-2008, 06:35 PM   #4

Take a sledgehammer to the cast iron tub. Essentially make it into a lot of small pieces.

For the drywall, use a wheelbarrow, buckets, or toss the pieces out a window.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 06:40 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Construction Debris Chute:

http://danish-flower.com/gallery/v/f..._5532.jpg.html

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 08-23-2008 at 06:42 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:12 AM   #6

Wish I could use a debris chute, but the roll off is too far from the house.

Never thought to break the tub up into pieces. I'll given that a shot.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:43 AM   #7

The cast iron tub will break pretty easily when hit with a sledgehammer. WEAR EAR AND EYE PROTECTION. It is deafening and will send tiny bits of schrapnel flying everywhere!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:43 PM   #8

I have used rubbermaid plastic totes. You can find them on sale cheap and buy 10-20 of them and fill them up. I would go with them or buy a bunch of garbage cans if you don't want to empty the wheel barrow everytime it fills up. Otherwise just pile the garbage up and then make a bunch of trips at once with the wheel barrow.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:54 PM   #9

Never throw away an old drop cloth.

This kind of project is why you save them. When they are too nasty for anything else, they are great for this. lay them on the floor beat the plaster off the wall. Drag the old drop to the dumpster. Don't put so much on that your can't get it over the side of the dumpster. Toss the big hunks out the window on to a drop laid out below.

Get all the plaster you can out before you take the wood lathe.
The lathe goes fast if you are not buried in plaster. Bundle and tie with old blind cords you cut and salvaged. Take them home for kindling or tomato stakes. Or leave them at the curb for someone else. They will be gone in a few days or less. Don't waste dumpster space.

Save a Dinosaur.. and $...only use bags when you really have too.

Ps cover the cast iron tub with an old drop... it will keep most of it from flying and maybe save a window.

Last edited by Big Bob; 08-24-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:04 PM   #10

I started this project tonight. Thanks for all of the tips.

The tub was a bit of work, but actually pretty simple. I covered it with a plastic drop cloth and went to town (wearing ear and eye protection - great advice, especially the ear protection. The neighbors were not happy with the noise, LOL). It came apart pretty easily.

That took up most of my night. But I did get a chance to use the Demobags (I'm a sucker for new products). I bagged up all of the tub pieces in these. Very durable. Very easy to use. Pretty good value. I'd suggest them. Dumped them at the roll-off and used them again. I'm interested to see how they're going to stand up to the plaster and the boards with nails.

I did like the suggestion about using the old drop cloths. I'll keep that in mind from now on. I usually just tossed them when they got old. Thanks for the help, guys.