Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2011, 02:26 PM   #1

Share |

New drywall install...

Do I need to nail headers at the 8 ft joints when putting drywall up on the ceiling in new construction.... Building a home- DIY. You guys can probably expect a few more questions from me! Thanks again!

Waymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #2

New drywall install...

I don't understand your question. You have headers on the ceiling? Please rephrase.

Dwoodsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:24 PM   #3

New drywall install...

I should have said "nailers". When I'm tacking the Sheetrock up for the ceiling, is it a good idea to have nailers where the Sheetrock butts up against each other?

For instance, I put an eight foot sheet up running across my trusses that are 24in apart. Great, but is it necessary to have a nailer for the 2 ft the will butt up to the other 8 ft section?

Maybe a stupid question....have very little Sheetrock experience but feel as though it's something I can do and hire a professional for the tape and bedding.

Make any sense at all?
Old 01-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
Pure Genius

New drywall install...

Your drywall should end in the middle of a joist. For butting up to a wall you need to install nailers above your top plate
Dierte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:33 PM   #5

New drywall install...

Yes, I know about the nailer against the wall. I'm talking about the other side of the Sheetrock. Where Sheetrock butts to Sheetrock...
Old 01-23-2011, 06:35 PM   #6

New drywall install...

Look at the very end of this article.

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/PDF/Free/021164076.pdf
jlmran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:41 PM   #7

New drywall install...

Run the rock perpendicular to the joists. If the joists are laid out correctly, the ends of the rock will meet on a joist. Some may use nailers along the wall, not sure about that. I always thought the wall sheets/panels supported the ceiling panels.

I should have said unless you are using butt boards. I never have....yet.

Last edited by boman47k; 01-23-2011 at 07:14 PM.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:48 PM   #8

New drywall install...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmran
Look at the very end of this article.

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/PDF/Free/021164076.pdf
This is what I am talking about except on the ceiling which may be handled the same way. Thanks for the info!!
Old 01-23-2011, 06:54 PM   #9

New drywall install...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boman47k
Run the rock perpendicular to the joists. If the joists are laid out correctly, the ends of the rock will meet on a joist. Some may use nailers along the wall, not sure about that. I always thought the wall sheets/panels supported the ceiling panels.
Thanks for the reply.... I got what your saying on this but I'm speaking of the sides that will not have a nailer because the joist are running the other direction. I may have to take a pic and show you guys. I'm not explaining it well enough I suppose. My trusses are all running one way so I understand that the top and bottom sides will butt up to each other at a truss. I'm speaking of the sides. Should a nailer be placed there?
Old 01-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #10

New drywall install...

This pic should help. I was just curious if any nailers needed to be nail along the right side of the sheetrock that you see here. After a couple hours if research it doesn't appear that I've seen or read anyone doing this. Thanks a ton for the responses. Love this place!
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2011, 07:32 PM   #11

New drywall install...

No, you don't need nailers between all those joists. When you're hanging a lid i highly recommend using screws, not nails. I also recommend putting them in in pairs. In other words when you screw to the joist at the edge of the sheet (or anywhere else), put in another one only an inch or two away. This goes a long way towards 'gravity prevention'. If one of the screws breaks the paper a little or doesn't hold the weight, the nearby screw will prevent any drop as well as catching half the wieght.
Dwoodsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #12

New drywall install...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwoodsmith
No, you don't need nailers between all those joists. When you're hanging a lid i highly recommend using screws, not nails. I also recommend putting them in in pairs. In other words when you screw to the joist at the edge of the sheet (or anywhere else), put in another one only an inch or two away. This goes a long way towards 'gravity prevention'. If one of the screws breaks the paper a little or doesn't hold the weight, the nearby screw will prevent any drop as well as catching half the wieght.
Thank you for the insight dwoodsmith. Any tips and tricks are highly appreciated!
Old 01-24-2011, 07:54 PM   #13

New drywall install...

"Any tips and tricks are highly appreciated!" ------ http://bestdrywall.com/files/ReduceCallbacks.pdf

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/PDF/Free/021174058.pdf

http://gypsum.org/pdf/GA-216-2010.html

Gary
Old 01-25-2011, 04:58 AM   #14

New drywall install...

Tips...
Rent a drywall lift to do the ceiling.
Pay someone to deliver the board into the basement.
Buy a drywall screw shooter.

williamwiens is offline   Reply With Quote