Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2012, 11:39 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Need some serious help

my brother just passed away, but before he did he destroyed my bathroom, and started to rebuild, I do have a working toilet and a working jet tub, but my walls are just mudded and taped. My question is about plaster. When my brother's friend did my mom's bathroom, he had a spray can of plaster, I swear, I know it sounds impossible, but he took this can, sprayed it on the wall, and then when it dried it was plastered with the texture of a burnt peanut. Kinda bumpy, so I have been searching for this stuff everywere, no one seems to know what I am talking about, please can someone help me, if you know what it is and whear to find it please let me know.

Thank You

UnwillingDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:09 AM   #2

Need some serious help

Sorry about your brother.
Are you trying to do it that way so you do not have to finish the walls the way they should be?
Textured walls in a bathroom? Big no no. Near imposible to clean,, harder to paint, super hard to patch if there's any damage.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:19 AM   #3

Need some serious help

are you talking about this product?

check the site out for more: http://homerenovations.about.com/gi/...8bac54da3.aspx
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to epson For This Useful Post:
UnwillingDIY (08-22-2012)
Old 08-22-2012, 02:03 AM   #4

Thumbs up

Need some serious help

That is it, thank you so much, you rock
Old 08-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #5

Thumbs up

Need some serious help

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Sorry about your brother.
Are you trying to do it that way so you do not have to finish the walls the way they should be?
Textured walls in a bathroom? Big no no. Near imposible to clean,, harder to paint, super hard to patch if there's any damage.
Thanks for that, but no, that is how the drywall guy did my mom's bathroom, he said it is a very expensive option, but easier for finishing, I know you don't put it in or directly around the shower area, but it seems to have worked ok in the other bathroom.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
Drywall contractor

Need some serious help

Texture is for people who can't finish, unless a homeowner specifically requests it. It shouldn't be an expensive option since there is one less coat of finish required and NO sanding.....
Old 08-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #7

Need some serious help

I am sold, so using the texture, thanks everyone!
Old 08-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #8
Drywall Texture Pro in Fl

Need some serious help

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbatlanta View Post
Texture is for people who can't finish, unless a homeowner specifically requests it. It shouldn't be an expensive option since there is one less coat of finish required and NO sanding.....
texture is not for people who can't finish. I think you should change your opinion on that. Is there a rule that says a wall has to be flat? No.... texture is an art. it is a different look. sure it does hide stuff but who cares.
I can finish...I also can't stand a flat wall. Makes me want to vomit blood. I like a medium knockdown look. Not because that used to be my profession but simply because it looked different.

Every house i have sprayed in florida, they still want it sanded to make sure no humps exist.

Last edited by stoner529; 08-29-2012 at 06:20 PM.
stoner529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #9
Drywall contractor

Need some serious help

Well, like they say, opinions are like a**holes and everyone has one including me. Not looking to start a fight, just going by what is done in my area. Slick is lot easier do deal with as far as patching, a lot less mess than texture, etc. Sure some people like texture and I'm glad to do what I can if they want it. As I said, knockdown is virtually non-existant around Atlanta. And I was referring to sanding for a smooth surface, not just knocking down the high spots. I go back and hand sand every flat and angle after pole sanding. And my comment about ""people who can't finish" goes back mainlyto the late 70's early '80's and similar eras when production housing was the norm and there were actually many finishers who weren't capable of slick finish. I've seen it. They got hired because they were "bodies on the job". Didn't mean to offend you....

Tags
bathroom, girl, helpless