Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2010, 07:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need help matching existing texture

Can anyone identify how this texture is applied? My coworker says it is a knockdown texture, sprayed on with a hopper. My grandfather has the same texture in his house, he says in the 80's when they remodeled they would "flick" the mud on with a trowel, then knock it down to this texture.

I tried spraying with a hopper on all different settings and I didn't get anything like this sort of texture, and I haven't found any information online which shows this technique of flicking the mud onto the wall.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Need help matching existing texture-img_1067.jpg  

mud99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:01 PM   #2

This is what I got with the hopper gun

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Need help matching existing texture-img_1066.jpg  

Old 06-21-2010, 11:46 PM   #3
Phoenix

Rewards Points: 75

The top picture is a "skip trowel" finish, done by taking kinda sloppy wet topping compound & lightly skimming it across the drywall with a 14" knife. Im sure someone will be able to explain it better, i am recently just learning how to do it myself.

Your knockdown looks pretty good
Axecutioner-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:14 AM   #4

Thanks, yeah I thought I did good on the knockdown, if only it matched the rest...

I've seen some stuff online on how to do skip trowel, but what confused me is how linear the existing texture is - it's all lined up vertically, it's not random like the skip trowel stuff I saw online.

I guess i'll play around with it on some scrap and see how it turns out. Maybe they just raked over it in one direction.

Mark
Old 06-22-2010, 12:19 AM   #5
Phoenix

get a thin bead all the way across your 14" knife, maybe a half inch's worth, make sure its very wet,, kinda sloppy,, very lightly skim it across the drywall & with a little practice it will look like the first picture in your post. If it doesnt skip good the first time just wipe the drywall smooth & try again. Good luck !!
Old 06-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #6

I can't make this work at all, tried it multiple times, all different consistencies, different pressure, I just get a smooth flat area.

Mark
Old 06-22-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
Phoenix

i dont think this guy is doing a great looking job but this is the jist of it. sloppy mud & just skim it lightly with the 14inch knife & it will leave a skipped patern.

Ill look for a better video. Its easier than it looks. What kind of mud were you using?
Old 06-22-2010, 08:28 PM   #8

Green bucket, all purpose. I must be missing something stupid, I watched that video before and I don't get a skip like that, it just goes on smooth - should I be adding sand or something to the mix?

Thanks for your help Axe, i've been working on this small section of drywall for two weeks!

Mark

I was just thinking, maybe i'm supposed to be using a trowel not a knife? I don't think I can keep a knife as flat against the surface as a trowel.

Mark
Old 06-22-2010, 09:37 PM   #9
Phoenix

It would be nice if someone with more experience with it than me chimed in to help. I did a little of it last saturday, we used +3 mud but i dont think it matters whether its +3 or Green top. We didnt add any sand or anything abnormal to the mix .. BUT .. the mix was VERY wet, like barely stay on your knife wet.