Need Help Identifying This Material - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2014, 08:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need help identifying this material

Hello all. New to the forum. I was removing some drywall and found this stuff and immediately, fears of asbestos struck. Can anyone tell me if this is safe? I'm going to have it tested, but being the long weekend, I won't know for a few days.

One pic shows the label on the back. It says
"ROCKLATH
The fireproof lath
Made in Canada
Canadian Gypsum Co., Ltd"

Second pic shows side profile. It looks like cement board on top of plaster, and there's some kind of animal hair in the cement.

Any help appreciated. TIA
Attached Thumbnails
Need help identifying this material-img_1956.jpg   Need help identifying this material-img_1957.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by accws; 04-19-2014 at 08:16 PM. Reason: posted by accident
accws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,178

Need help identifying this material

Canada is a leading producer of asbestos product. It is certainly possible that there are asbestos fibers in the material, it is IMPOSSIBLE to determine via visual inspection. You are sending a sample to a laboratory, so that will determine if it is asbestos, and if so what type of mineral was used. In the interim, you should treat it as though it is asbestos containing, meaning that during demolition you should use standard asbestos precautions. The U.S. EPA has guidelines for handling asbestos containing material on their web site.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (04-19-2014)