Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster


Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2
Share |

need help drywall

Ok so my house was built in 1917, The walls have vinyl covered Masonite? im guessing thats what it is called now under that their are boards i took a pic so that might help, What i need to know is do i have to rip all these boards out to put drywall up? http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/8167/1001253o.jpg

Muggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,840

need help drywall

If they are relatively flat and solid you could leave them. It would be a good time to rewire and add insulation though, in which case, I'd remove them.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 886

need help drywall

WOW! those boards look like "antique heart pine". If you do decide to remove do the demo with care and consider selling to a salvage yard. Might be good demand for this for making antique heart of pine flooring.

Might put a positive dent in your remodel bugget.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2

need help drywall

Thanks guys this should be fun lol, One more thing if you don't mind in the drywall world what is this angle called? is it hard to do? http://img535.imageshack.us/i/1001255.jpg/
Muggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:59 AM   #5
Drywall contractor
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lilburn, GA
Posts: 2,094

need help drywall

Don't know the technical term for the angle, but it's not hard to deal with. You can use a product such a "Sure Corner" which is a metal backed paper tape for "off angles" or "Strait Flex" which is more of a paper product that serves the same purpose. Both should be available at HD or Lowes.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier. Support our troops.
bjbatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:17 PM   #6
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Seattle, Washington
Posts: 344

need help drywall

That angle is called alot of different things (and it ain't pretty) when things don't go right.

Work is for those who can not fish.
Mop in Hand is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem Patching Large Drywall Hole FuLLTiLT Drywall & Plaster 5 11-21-2009 09:42 PM
Old ceiling replacement idsp General DIY Discussions 12 07-25-2009 10:48 AM
Framing for drywall under Spiral staircase clemon03 Drywall & Plaster 6 07-17-2009 03:49 PM
Good ways to run pegboard up to drywall? upthemaiden Drywall & Plaster 1 03-09-2009 01:12 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.