Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Need advice on sheetrock job

We hired a drywall contractor for a project that included 3 totally new bathrooms and repairing the center line (from removing chair rail) and about a half dozen patches total in 4 bedrooms. (This is the part he’s done so far-there’s more that he bid, but there’s no way we’re having him back.)
I was nervous from day 1, when I had to point out to him that his cuts for all the electrical boxes were way over sized and the plates wouldn’t cover them. He said “don’t worry, these will be perfect when I’m done.” Same mantra for every concern I brought up.
Other things that happened were – 1.)the first day, he brought 2 kids with him (not his normal crew) cause he sent “his crew” to a bigger job. 2.) Then he asked if he could send some other guy over to do the mudding, because he was really busy with other jobs. And, 3.) when he showed up to do the final sanding, it was 6 pm on a Friday night – after he had already done a 12 hour day somewhere else.
Once he was done, and we started wiping down all the dust and other clean-up, we found endless issues – ridges, bumps, bad corners, small pieces of sheetrock paper sticking up, places not even sanded, etc. – and NONE of the electrical cut-outs had been finished as previously stated – they were left with very ragged cut edges.
After we spent at least 10 hours trying to fix the problem areas, my husband insisted we call him back to do the repairs. He came back, and there was “some” improvement. But yesterday, I spent another 8 hours still sanding spots and mudding some missed areas.
At this point, he is telling us we need to prime, so he can see where the problems are, and then he will fix them. I can see where the problems are already, WHY would we prime first?
Also, what is a “fair”way to approach the payment of this? We certainly have not gotten the job we were promised!
JamesRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Sounds like he could be too busy and the quality and workmanship has gone down hill.

Priming first, shows surface blemishes more.

However, you should not have to do additional work because of sub-par drywall performance.

He should have used a bright light, placed at an angle to show everything and corrected it himself.

IMHO - He's probably trying to buy himself some extra time, in addition to, asking you to make his job easier to see the blemishes.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
Sounds like he could be too busy and the quality and workmanship has gone down hill.

Priming first, shows surface blemishes more.

However, you should not have to do additional work because of sub-par drywall performance.

He should have used a bright light, placed at an angle to show everything and corrected it himself.

IMHO - He's probably trying to buy himself some extra time, in addition to, asking you to make his job easier to see the blemishes.
Yes, he did use a light. However, we also used a light, and continued to find more and more things he "missed"!
(I totally understand the idea that the primer will allow you to correct those things that you couldn't see before you paint.)
I don't think it's just "time" - right now he is insisting on "payment in full",
not at all concerned that we are NOT satisfied.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Please realize that typical drywall finishes are not "perfect". They are not completely, spot-on, level and without any blemishes what-so-ever, as if a machine (computer) has done the work.

If you were to go into anyone's house with a bright light and start looking at their walls - you will see that.

The point is that the drywall surfaces should "blend" the typical irregularities, and hide them to the naked eye.

Also, electrical outlet holes are generally rough around the edges since they will be covered with a cover-plate (especially if cut-out with a router).
I don't know what yours look like, but I just want you to realize that drywall is not a perfect science.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #5

Thanks for your time and input. We do understand your point. However, this is the 3rd home we have remodeled, so have had a few different sheetrockers over the last 30 years. We have moved (to a different state), or actually would have used the same contractor we had for our last home.
There is a BIG difference between his finishing and what we're dealing with now.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #6

i definitley wouldnt pay in full till you are happy. i'd either circle with pencil or put sticky notes where there are imperfections that need to be addressed. i would not prime anything with tons of imperfections you already see. sometimes after primer imperfections come out after that you missed. if there are tons you'll be priminig the place twice. i'd have a heart to heart with the guy and come up with a solution so yous are both happy in the end.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:08 AM   #7

any pics?

Is it definitely noticable without the halogen lights?
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #8

Well Don't pay till his work is to your satisfaction and done right. I you have to hire another Rocker to fix it I would back charge him the cost.
Nailbags is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad drywall job