Nail Pops On Very Old Sheetrock - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Nail pops on very old sheetrock

Hi everyone,

My house was built in the 1940's time frame. I have no idea when the sheetrock was installed. It is in pretty good shape, except for the occasional nail pop. I understand what to do for nail pops in sheetrock that is relatively new. Somewhere, at some time, I recall reading that trying to put a new nail or screw in to old, old, old sheetrock wouldn't work .... something to do with the paper being too brittle.

Any comments?

Thanks.

Advertisement

george5558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
Randy in Kenyon

Rewards Points: 25

My house was built in 1917, but sheet rocked in some rooms in the 40s. Most of the nails were not ring-shanked. Those that popped, I dug out and mudded over the hole and a few inches away, I put in a screw. Of course all this means that you will be mudding and painting..

Regards - Randy

Advertisement

Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

When you put in the screws on that very old sheetrock, did it hold? What I recall reading or hearing somewhere, was that they would pop right through the old brittle paper and not hold at all.
george5558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 738

Never heard of that, and I've been working on older homes for over 30 years.
Sometimes you have to push up on the sheetrock as your screwing because the drywall is now sagging.
Add more screws closer together to spread out the load.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
Randy in Kenyon

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by george5558 View Post
When you put in the screws on that very old sheetrock, did it hold? What I recall reading or hearing somewhere, was that they would pop right through the old brittle paper and not hold at all.
I did not have any trouble with the screws in the old drywall.

For what its worth - When I put up fresh drywall, I screw in every running 12" on walls and every 8" on ceilings.

Regards - Randy

-edit

What have you got to lose? If it pulls through the paper, you still have a screw embedded in the wall and it will hold a goodly load..
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nail pops