DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

My window between siding and drywall...

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  bjbatlanta 
#1 ·
I uploaded the picture because I don't think anyone would have believed me. You can read the bold's if you're in a hurry helping all us hopeless DIY'ers running around to start projects a day into the 3 day weekend :D

Story
Anyway, as you can see, there's a window in the drywall that had ply sheathing/siding installed over it. It was covered with a horrible drywall patch which is what alerted me to it. I removed the patch, took off some metal bits on the corners, and then ripped out the tracks/glass to leave just the outer frame.

Problem
Can I remove this type of window only from the inside without having to remove a ton of siding/sheathing? The tracks were cheap aluminum with 2 nails in them and I can't see any obvious way to disassemble this window from the inside.

Question
The window frame is about 1/2" back from the drywall. Should I remove the frame or just leave it in and drywall over it properly? If I insulate the gap is there anything "bad" that could happen from not taking the frame out?

My Thinking:

I figure I have a few choices now, going from most hopeful and ideal to least ideal hackery which was the cause of this problem :(

1) Try to remove as much of the window as I can using a sawzall to cut nails if need be. Once that's done, use spray foam to seal up the air I feel coming in from the sides of the window. Throw in some insulation and a 2x4 through the middle, and put a patch on.

2) Leave the frame in, insulate, put in a 2x4, patch.

Is it worth removing the window frame even? The previous patch I removed was flush with the rest of the drywall it was just put in with silicone, unpainted, and brown wallboard instead of matching sheetrock.

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.