Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #1

Share |

My mesh is showing...

Hi... I'm sure I'm doing something stupid here, as it's my first time and I'm not the handiest guy on the planet (or in my house, actually). I removed a 4 foot x 4 foot section of drywall in a bathroom, and am trying to get the replacement to fit as precisely as possible.

I've secured the new board using 2 inch drywall screws, placed every 6 inches down the studs. The right side butts against a corner, and the left ends at the mid point of another stud. I noticed a very small (less than 1/8th inch) difference in the depth of the new board and the old wall on one the left side. I first used paper tape and joint compound, but wasn't happy with it, so removed and sanded everything back down.

Second round, used mesh tape instead, have mudded, feathered, sanded, mudded, feathered sanded, etc. The problem is, there are several spots where the mesh tape is still visible. I've gone over it 4-5 times with fresh coats of mud, but every time I sand, out comes the mesh again. Seems like I can't get it smooth without over sanding (?).

Any suggestions? Should I paper tape OVER the mesh in those spots?

Thanks for your time, and sorry for such a verbose post.

Last edited by JP6044; 02-02-2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: corrected mistake
JP6044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
Super Master Painter

My mesh is showing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP6044 View Post
Seems like I can't get it smooth without over sanding (?).

NO, ''you'' cannot get it smooth without over sanding and thats why you are over sanding.............just keep trying man, eventually youll get it...........im not trying to be an a or anything but its tricky to do for a first timer. if the tape is comming throguh then just add more mud and then even it out as best you can with your blade then lightly sand it

Last edited by Gary in WA; 02-04-2011 at 07:59 PM. Reason: language
Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #3

My mesh is showing...

do a thin layer of compound and let it dry, scarp any edges with your trowel, then apply another thin coat (keep everything feathered out and even). after 2-3 coats then sand lightly . you shouldn't need to over sand.

good luck...
rditz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:45 PM   #4
DIY staff

My mesh is showing...

Next time you do taping--embed the tape or mesh with Durrabond or All Purpose (green lid)

Then switch to Light Weight( blue lid)

The Durrabond and All Purpose are much harder than the Light weight--making it less likely to sand through to the tape.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #5

My mesh is showing...

Mesh always seems to be harder to cover for me. More mud, bigger hump to try and feather out.

That little difference in the board may cause you problems too. I think I might would use a little hot mud there to level the surfaces then work with the taping and finishing.

For a first timer, its gonna be fun trying to make that look right with no factory edges.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #6

My mesh is showing...

Don't sand between coats.
Use your taping blade to scrape down any high spots and then recoat.
Sand only the final coat.

If you use a setting type compound first (20min, 90min etc) to first fill in some of the difference in depth between the two pieces, then tape with paper tape, you may find it yeilds better results.
williamwiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #7
Drywall contractor

My mesh is showing...

ALWAYS use setting type compound for at least the first coat when using mesh tape as manufacturers recommend. Have you tried putting a coat of paint on the area? If the mesh doesn't show through the paint, what's the problem?? Just like paper tape. I've had builders "fuss" (to use a nice term) about being able to see tape in a few spots after sanding. It's a "paintable" surface. As long as there are no visible "edges" where the mud has been applied, paint will cover it. No harm, no foul. If you keep adding layers of tape and mud, you'll end up with the joints bulging out and they'll be even more noticeable....
Old 02-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #8

My mesh is showing...

I remember once remudding for a guy because the tape was showing. Was it necessary? I really don't know. Not sure what would have happened with a water based primer. If it would have worked before the remudding, it would have been a very smooth "flat" finish.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #9
Drywall contractor

My mesh is showing...

It was not necessary, unless the surface where tape and joint compound met were uneven or there was a ridge of some sort. And then it would have been cosmetic only. Water based primer will not affect joint tape if the compound under/over it is dry. Go into a newly finished house before it gets painted. Look inside the closets. More often than not, the inside corners on the door side of the closet wall do not get a coat of mud over the tape (unless it's a walk-in or has a light in it). They get painted and there are no problems with tape coming off. Most finishers work by the "piece/board" and any little shortcut to save time means money. Not finishing angles that will not be seen once shelving is in tend to get "overlooked". You can likely see the same thing in your closets, you just don't notice since you really can't see those corners unless you back yourself into the closet with a flashlight. Kind of hard to do once the closet shelving is in place and filled with "stuff"......
Ole34 (02-04-2011)
Old 02-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #10

My mesh is showing...

I did wonder about it when I did that little thing. May have been best to have left it. I was very green at it. Used a lot of mud! Sanded a lot of mud! Used more mud, sanded more mud......

Seems like I ran through a five gal bucket on the one room. Mostly the corners!

It did turn out good, but it took a while , and did I mention it took a lot of mud???

Now that I think about it, there was more to it than that one room.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #11
Super Master Painter

My mesh is showing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boman47k View Post
I did wonder about it when I did that little thing. May have been best to have left it. I was very green at it. Used a lot of mud! Sanded a lot of mud! Used more mud, sanded more mud......

Seems like I ran through a five gal bucket on the one room. Mostly the corners!

It did turn out good, but it took a while , and did I mention it took a lot of mud???

Now that I think about it, there was more to it than that one room.

be carefull when sanding over your head while looking upwards.........i pinched a nerve in my left arm doing that a few years ago...............couldnt even hold a brush in left hand for months, since then hand has gottin stronger though...........just be carefull

Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote