Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2010, 11:35 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

My ceiling moves in a wave pattern and not in a even line, I do not know how to fix.

Just got this house from my In-Laws and notice there was nob and tube in the house. I am in process of clearing it out. Up stairs is clear with new wiring. Took en off the plaster and found lats on the walls and ceiling. Small bedroom is smooth all around, but the Master bedroom ceiling is wavy.

If you stand on a latter against the wall you can see that the ceiling isn't smooth straight. How do I get this to be straight when i put up my new dry wall? Please help, because it seems that every corner of this house there's a problem.

Note age of this house is unknown, This is a farm house, has large bolders in basement for structure. If i have a roughly to guess on age would say 1940's maybe.

Was going to put up 1/2 drywall for walls and ceiling but i dont know now.

TheUnhandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:42 PM   #2

Thumbs up

My ceiling moves in a wave pattern and not in a even line, I do not know how to fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnhandyman View Post
Just got this house from my In-Laws and notice there was nob and tube in the house. I am in process of clearing it out. Up stairs is clear with new wiring. Took en off the plaster and found lats on the walls and ceiling. Small bedroom is smooth all around, but the Master bedroom ceiling is wavy.

If you stand on a latter against the wall you can see that the ceiling isn't smooth straight. How do I get this to be straight when i put up my new dry wall? Please help, because it seems that every corner of this house there's a problem.

Note age of this house is unknown, This is a farm house, has large bolders in basement for structure. If i have a roughly to guess on age would say 1940's maybe.

Was going to put up 1/2 drywall for walls and ceiling but i dont know now.
You should frame it out. Use metal stud framing and leave a gap of about 4" in the new ceiling for wiring to run through!!

spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:49 PM   #3

Metal studs? that can help the wave in the ceiling?? How? I was going to add a ceiling fan in the room but with metal studs i cant though.
TheUnhandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:07 PM   #4

You can sister some 2 X 4s onto the joist to level out the ceiling.
adave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:40 AM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

How wavy is "wavy"? And for what portion of the room?
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote