Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

mud over wood?

This is a older mobile home, I do not plan on going broke remodeling it.
It does have sheetrock on the walls that need to be taped and finished. The ceiling is the old wood paneling that structurally is in good condition, but it needs painted and is ugly.
I am only talking about a 10x12 kitchen ceiling.
I am building new cabinets in place, old school style. Will have open backs and sides, open the cabinet door and see the wall it hangs on. So I skim coated and finished all the wall space where the cabinets are.
While I had mud going, I knew better, but could not stop myself and taped and skimmed coated 30% of the ceiling also. Because of the people that hung the drywall before I owned the mobile home. First coat was 50/50 structolite plaster and 45 hot mud.
Since I already had to much mixed up, either throw it away or start on the ceiling.
Second coat was pure 45, and the cabinet walls are smooth enough to be called finished. Same scenario, to much mixed up and tossed the leftovers on the ceiling.

Next day, quite a bit was lying on the kitchen floor.
If this makes sense, I did 30% of the ceiling with leftovers from first coat.
I had less leftovers from second coat and only 20% of the ceiling got a second coat.
The area that got a second coat is solid and with a 8" knife I can not scrape it off.
The areas that only got one coat just fell off.
imho, the old wood sucked the moisture right out of the plaster on the first coat and it failed to stick.
The second coat seemed to add just enough moisture so it bonded.
Now I am thinking of using a bonding agent. You find it in the concrete isle and is meant for stucco. You paint it on and new stucco will not stick to the old.
Stuff is cheap enough and going to try it, any thoughts on mud to wood?

Old 06-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

mud over wood?

Not a great idea, wood moves, drywall mud does not.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
RWolff (06-08-2013)
Old 06-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,124

mud over wood?

Many cabinet boxes have backs because that's where the framing is for attaching it to the wall. How do you plan on hanging yours?

No, you cannot put mud on wood paneling. Explaining why wouldn't change the answer. You just can't. But now that you've made a mess of it you should probably plan on ripping it down. Drywall is cheap. Don't waste your time trying to find ways to save that disaster. Lesson learned, move on.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wkearney99 For This Useful Post:
RWolff (06-08-2013)
Old 06-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,848

mud over wood?

Switch to Multipurpose mud--green lid---it has glue and bonds better that any other mud--after the first coat is set, you could switch to something else,if you wish.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

mud over wood?

Isn't it interesting that some people seem to understand the humongous importance of allowing concrete to cure (setup) slowly to develop all of the strength it is designed and engineered to harden into, but they keep looking for faster and faster ways to get drywall mud to setup........ as though somehow a quick-drying mud is going to have exactly the same properties something not "flash-cured" is going to have.

I prefer not to, but I have many times used a gradual build-up of green lid mud over wood, and it has still been there years later.

Hummm... do you suppose letting chemical compounds set up and bond to surfaces the way they are originally meant to might be a good idea?

Last edited by Willie T; 06-08-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
funfool (06-09-2013)
Old 06-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,482

mud over wood?

I don't think I would do it for a couple reasons that old paneling had a habit of delaminating once wet. And with wet mud you are adding quite a bit of weight considering that paneling is probably only about 1/8" thick. But if you are going to do it I would add Mud Max, or white Elmer's glue or concrete additive to the mud makes it bond incredibly better. Don't know about the bonding agent seems like just more moisture.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:30 PM   #7
Architectural Sculptor

mud over wood?

DON'T put drywall mud, plaster or anything like that on wood, trust me, it WILL crack and peel off!
I made the same mistake once but only on a 6" wide couple of corner boards that boxed in a 4" vent pipe floor to ceiling, I even used the mesh tape in the corners and outside edge, put the drywall mud on and textured it with a course brush.
Within weeks it came loose and started coming off.
Use a textured paint maybe but not mud.

I've used mud over interior mortar and textured it, and that worked well

Last edited by RWolff; 06-09-2013 at 12:20 PM.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:33 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

mud over wood?

I refinished some cabinets hanging on a wall in my daughters bedroom with AP. just enough to get it smooth, sanded, and coated it with KILZ before paint. That was 8 years ago and it never failed. I only really filled the ridges though. I say go for it.
Brett K is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brett K For This Useful Post:
Willie T (06-09-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 05:23 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 622

mud over wood?

Sorry remodeling a manufactured home is like polishing a turd! It may look all shinny and pretty but it is still a turd! Never will a person recoup the money spent.
Nailbags is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nailbags For This Useful Post:
RWolff (06-09-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 05:25 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

mud over wood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfool View Post
You find it in the concrete isle..
Sounds like a lovely vacation spot.
thatbobguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #11
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,124

mud over wood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbags View Post
Sorry remodeling a manufactured home is like polishing a ....! It may look all shinny and pretty but it is still a ....! Never will a person recoup the money spent.
C'mon, don't run down the guy's home. Sure, there's something to be said for spending money wisely, but it's the home he's got now and he wants to fix it up a bit.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wkearney99 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-09-2013), RWolff (06-09-2013), ToolSeeker (06-09-2013), Willie T (06-09-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 09:10 AM   #12
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

mud over wood?

As Brett said, shallow coats. Use AP, with maybe some additive. And gradually build it up over several days... maybe even a week.

And it needs to be WELL FASTENED thick wood... NOT some flimsy 1/8" "paneling".

Hell, I wouldn't even trust paint not to come off that cheap paneling.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #13
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,848

mud over wood?

I know Funfool is thick skinned and has enough self confidence not to get riled up over the 'polishing a turd' snipe---

However---that sort of comment is not useful--a man has to work with what he has--if a mobile home is home for now---then that's just a fact.

I've seen some mobiles that looked like a good place to live----no need to be snobbish ----is there?

Carry on gang-----Mike------
RWolff (06-09-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #14
Architectural Sculptor

mud over wood?

Yep, both comments are true, a mobile home not being worth the expense of remodelling, but yet the owner not having the means at this point to afford to buy a new house or anything of the sort, we all have to work with what we have and not everyone can afford a $350,000 house.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #15

mud over wood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbags View Post
Sorry remodeling a manufactured home is like polishing a turd! It may look all shinny and pretty but it is still a turd! Never will a person recoup the money spent.
This is exactly correct. I agree 100%
The story goes, A older single lady with some savings bought the home, she paid to much. She had it moved to where it is now ans setup which is a nice court and do not lock your doors and neighbors are cool, close to town etc... she paid to much for the move.
She paid 2 guys to gut the place that was actually in real good condition.
Installed new 3/4" cdx on top of existing plywood floor, replaced all but 3 windows with new dual pane, sheetrocked all the walls but not ceiling, all new electrical from service panel to a industrial conduit setup with conduit running inside along the walls. ugly.
She had all the plumbing replaced with pex and abs, she painted the outside, finished the bathroom with a steel tub and pedestal sink.
Built a 10x20 covered patio. The lady was stupid and went broke over this place trying to build her dream home for retirement.

She walked away because she could not finish it, moved to Texas with her daughter, I ended up buying it for $500.
I went from $600 month rent to $300 for space rent.
I have a place that is ready to put back together, all the demo and bs is done.

I installed natural gas lines for all appliances, A forced air gas furnace, A house burned down, I paid $50 for the 2 year old furnace and $300 for ductwork. I remodeled the bathroom and made it larger to include a laundry room, I built the wall to separate the kitchen/living room .... I have a couple hundred bucks into the house remodeling , I am not going to go broke over fixing it up.
Turn the camera in the other direction and will find me with my 3 monitor funtoo setup and some other interesting arches for built ins and hallway.
This is my $500 turd .... hook it up and pull it around the block and it all falls apart
Attached Thumbnails
mud over wood?-hpim0746.jpg