Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Which mud

I will be finishing a small basement room. I love mesh tape for the seams. What mud would you recommend for each coat?

dvatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Which mud

Since you love mesh tape I won't go there. For DIY the best would probably be all purpose(USG green lid) for your tape and lightweight (USG blue lid) for the top coat. Green lid has more glue in it and will set up firmer, the blue lid is softer and easier to sand. Hope this helps. You can use the quick setting compounds they are stronger yet but they are not very DIY friendly.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 4

Which mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
Since you love mesh tape I won't go there. For DIY the best would probably be all purpose(USG green lid) for your tape and lightweight (USG blue lid) for the top coat. Green lid has more glue in it and will set up firmer, the blue lid is softer and easier to sand. Hope this helps. You can use the quick setting compounds they are stronger yet but they are not very DIY friendly.
A quick semi-related question...

Does the blue-lid mud eventually become as hard, strong and stable as the green lid stuff?

I've used lots of both, but honestly have never paid attention to the "after priming and painting product" regarding toughness.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #4

Which mud

You are that much against it? I haven't experienced problems with it.
dvatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Which mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
A quick semi-related question...

Does the blue-lid mud eventually become as hard, strong and stable as the green lid stuff?

I've used lots of both, but honestly have never paid attention to the "after priming and painting product" regarding toughness.
This is a hard question to answer but basically no it does't get as hard and stable. The reason most don't use it for in bedding the tape and first coat is it is more likely to crack under slight movement. There is a product called topping that is even easier to sand but it can only be used for final coat because it has no strength. You use it for final coat because it will fill in small imperfections and is easy to sand. On the bucket it will say on the green lid all purpose, on the blue lid it says light weight. I hope this answers your question.
And the mesh tape yea I don't care for it but it is a lot more DIY friendly than paper tape and there are even some pros that tape whole houses with it. So I guess it's a personal preference so just use what your comfortable with.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #6

Which mud

Basement bathroom withhigh humidity, setting-type compounds are recommended; http://www.usg.com/sheetrock-durabon...-compound.html

Use only setting type compound with mesh tape;

"Q: Can fiberglass tape be set with drying-type compounds?
A: No. When using fiberglass tape, only setting-type joint compounds like SHEETROCK® Brand DURABOND® and SHEETROCK® Brand EASY SAND™ should be used for the first coat over the tape. Ready-mixed drying-type compounds can be used for subsequent finishing coats." From: http://www.usg.com/sheetrock-all-pur....html#tab-faqs

Gary
ltd (10-28-2012), princelake (10-28-2012)
Old 10-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 4

Which mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
This is a hard question to answer but basically no it does't get as hard and stable. The reason most don't use it for in bedding the tape and first coat is it is more likely to crack under slight movement. There is a product called topping that is even easier to sand but it can only be used for final coat because it has no strength. You use it for final coat because it will fill in small imperfections and is easy to sand. On the bucket it will say on the green lid all purpose, on the blue lid it says light weight. I hope this answers your question.
And the mesh tape yea I don't care for it but it is a lot more DIY friendly than paper tape and there are even some pros that tape whole houses with it. So I guess it's a personal preference so just use what your comfortable with.
Yeah actually that's exactly what I was wondering. Thanks!

I use the blue lid mud for final coating, but got to wondering if it was really just an inferior way of getting the desired end product.

Thanks again.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #8

Which mud

apply a setting compound "hot mud" for first coat on the mesh and it should not crack. then depending on the size of job and your skill level you can do the second coat with setting compound then a final skim with a premix compound of your choice( blue lid, red light, lafarge rapid coat, etc) or if your not as skilled and still a beginner then do second and 3rd with a premixed compound.

princelake is offline   Reply With Quote