Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #1

Share |

Moldy drywall

Renovating a house I am prepping for sale next spring. I like to take care of the "flips" as I would like done to my house. I have this patch in the bathroom with mold on the ceiling. See the attached pic. I've been working on houses for years and I see signs of water damage on ceilings a lot but not with the black mold here.

What's the best course of action? Can I just texture over it and paint it? Is the mold dead at this point? Or should I cut out the drywall and put a new piece up there, mud and tape and texture to match the rest of the ceiling then paint? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Moldy drywall-2012-11-14_23-26-15_761.jpg  

braverichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #2

Moldy drywall

You MUST find why it molded in the first place and fix that. What is above that location that could be causing the leak? Roof, windows, etc...

After that, I would cut out the entire area and replace with new drywall, mud, texture. The tough part will be to blend the new texture with the old to make it look like it never happened. More than likely, it will still be noticeable to a degree.

Bathroom demo started Feb 2013: View my bathroom progression!!!
Trucon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #3

Moldy drywall

I know why it happened: leaky roof. As part of my renovations, I tore out all the roofing (down to the sheathing) and replaced with an all new roof. The roof was in pretty bad shape and in that particular area the tar paper had torn for whatever reason and it would get wet when it rains.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #4

Moldy drywall

Sweet. Now that it won't come back, I'd cut out a square portion, making sure to get ALL mold outta there. Throw up a new piece of green board (since its a bathroom) and mud away.

Bathroom demo started Feb 2013: View my bathroom progression!!!
Trucon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Moldy drywall

Mold doesn't die unlless you kill it. If it has dried, it's gone dormant. If the drywall got damp enough to grow mold, it is junk. Cut it out 12" past the last signs of mold and replace it.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maintenance 6 For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (11-16-2012)
Old 11-16-2012, 08:14 AM   #6

Moldy drywall

Interesting, mold goes dormant? Never knew that. This statement got me curious so I did several web searches and you are so right! This one paragraph here evaluates on it:

Quote:
After a single incident of water damage occurs in a building, molds grow inside walls and then become dormant until a subsequent incident of high humidity; this illustrates how mold can appear to be a sudden problem, long after a previous flood or water incident that did not produce such a problem. The right conditions reactivate mold. Studies also show that mycotoxin levels are perceptibly higher in buildings that have once had a water incident.
Thanks for that info, I appreciate it.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #7

Moldy drywall

And while you have it open, spray everything that was wet, with Concrobium, or another mold killer, then whipe clean with a rag. Bleach will only kill the surface mold.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seattle2k For This Useful Post:
princelake (11-16-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Moldy drywall

Any mold inside the wall cavity should certainly be scrubbed down with a detergent and then treated with a fungicide. Just so ya know.... Concrobium does not penetrate porous surfaces any better than a bleach solution will.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote