Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2014, 05:50 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Mold behind baseboard

I'm putting new flooring in my basement. I've pulled the baseboard and I see a lot of black spots of mold on the drywall where the baseboard were.

The previous occupants had a kitchen down there and probably generated a lot of moisture. The basement is currently very dry. It's heated and there is no water infiltration. I'm wondering if I should rip out the molded drywall and put new one in.

What's your opinion on this situation?

bighak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:03 PM   #2

Mold behind baseboard

First I think when I see this is the wall was built wrong.
No vapor barrier.
Drywall in direct contact with the slab.
MDF baseboard.
Unpressure treated bottom plate.
Wall not built out away from the foundation.
No fire blocking to stop the flow of air behind the wall from the floor.
Someone just attached strapping directly to the foundation.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:18 PM   #3

Mold behind baseboard

It's happening on interior walls. I'm in Canada and it gets cold here. I suspect the moisture condensed on the colder wall behind the baseboard.

All the black spot are mold. Some other wall are worse.
bighak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:49 PM   #4

Mold behind baseboard

High humidly in the room.
That drywall needed to be 1/2" off the floors or it will wick up moisture.
It also should have been primed and painted before the base went up.
Is that wood of MDF baseboard?
MDF will soak up water like a sponge.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:16 PM   #5
Professional

Mold behind baseboard

That looks like an interior wall, so the moisture is probably from the floor. Cut all the drywall up off the floor like joecaption said.

Is that hardwood flooring you are putting down? If so, you will have problems. It should have a subfloor under it (like dricore).

The MDF trim is OK as long as its not directly on the concrete. It usually gets installed on top of the floor.

Run a dehumidifier down in that area constantly to help with the moisture.
TotalHomeworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:59 AM   #6

Mold behind baseboard

Treat the mold and monitor the atmospheric conditions down there before jumping off the deep end attempting to solve a problem caused by others that may not be present anymore. Dew point temperature will tell you just about all you need to know.
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:54 PM   #7

Mold behind baseboard

I would cut about a 1/2" piece off the bottom just to keep spills, mop water, or anything else from wicking up. Doesn't need to be a straight cut or anything your baseboard will cover it. Then maybe put a dehumidifier down there for a couple days and monitor closely. This is of course after addressing the mold, that looks like a small amount so don't go overboard. And don't use bleach buy something for mold.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:06 PM   #8

Mold behind baseboard

If no vapor barrier poly under the slab, figure moisture is from ground. If high RH in rooms, moisture would show at other higher locations other than behind a paint-sealed baseboard., IMO. Actually the newer codes require air sealing different materials where they join to the floor;
"Floors (including above garage and cantilevered floors) Insulation is installed to maintain permanent contact with underside of subfloor decking.
Air barrier is installed at any exposed edge of floor."
AND; "
Walls Corners and headers are insulated.
Junction of foundation and sill plate is sealed." from; http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...002_par022.htm
So, the bottom of drywall requires held-up above floor (1/4" min. per code) and the joint requires caulking or other air sealing. If no poly (or sill sealer) under the wall, moisture could easily wick through the bottom plate-pressure treated or not, to wet the framing; http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...-building-code

IMO, removed the lowest 12" of drywall to check the framing for mildew, if careful, you could reuse it; if clean (the paper facing on both sides usually molds). After reinstalling, be sure to air seal all the joints.... I would even add some electrician's vinyl tape to the bottoms of the baseboard to stop any wicking.

Gary