Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2011, 10:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Mold

I'll leave to the moderator whether this topic ought to go elsewhere... A small leak in the roof of a three story row house became a big problem after this record rain we received in the NE here recently. The water migrated through a wall on the 3rd floor, saturated a section of carpet and eventually caused about a 5'x5' section of drywall to collapse in the living room located on the 2nd floor. The tenant watched it come down. I'm getting the roof patched ASAP and the underneath part of the 3rd floor which is now exposed where the ceiling collapsed is drying out nicely. But what should I do about the mold that began to develop up in the area that got wet? Does it die when it dries out? Or should I spray it with something before closing up the ceiling again?
Thanks.

RMCarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Mold

Mold doesn't die when it dries out. It goes dormant and waits for moisture to become active again. You need to find the end of the wet drywall and cut 12" beyond that. Drywall is cheap and isn't worth fooling with to dry out. Any mold that is growing on structural framing needs to be scrubbed off with a detergent or removed by some other means (sanding, blasting, etc). After it is completely dry, treat it with a fungicide and let that dry. Then coat it with a sealer to lock down any stray mold fragments. After all of this, you can replace the damaged drywall. First and foremost, you must get the moisture under control, otherwise you'll be wasting your time on the clean up.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maintenance 6 For This Useful Post:
Rob1975 (09-14-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
Not a Noob or Boob

Mold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
Mold doesn't die when it dries out. It goes dormant and waits for moisture to become active again. You need to find the end of the wet drywall and cut 12" beyond that. Drywall is cheap and isn't worth fooling with to dry out. Any mold that is growing on structural framing needs to be scrubbed off with a detergent or removed by some other means (sanding, blasting, etc). After it is completely dry, treat it with a fungicide and let that dry. Then coat it with a sealer to lock down any stray mold fragments. After all of this, you can replace the damaged drywall. First and foremost, you must get the moisture under control, otherwise you'll be wasting your time on the clean up.
What he said x2!
Rob1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:03 PM   #4

Mold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
Okay. Understood. I see the steps involved. I'll cut out any other suspect areas where the water might have impacted the drywall. I got up on the roof and caulked the most egregious areas where the rain might have gotten through. Were due for a big rain tonight. I've scheduled a complete re-roof in two weeks. Thanks very much.
RMCarner is offline   Reply With Quote