Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

metal studs on drywall

I want to partition a room that has already been finished. i was going to use metal studs. i heard that if i angle the screws the the screws thru the metal track and into the sheetrock that i do not need to hit a stud

patg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
Too Old

Rewards Points: 250

metal studs on drywall

If you screw through the track into the wall then you should hit the bottom or top plate which should be solid.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
Too Old

metal studs on drywall

If you do not hit anything solid then you will be able to pull the track out very easily. Being that the bottom track is on a floor you will be able to secure that easily. Be sure you screw the top track in securly or the wall may fall over, drywall will not hold a screw.
patg (12-23-2011)
Old 12-23-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
retired union carpenter

Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

metal studs on drywall

I believe? Pat is talking about fastening the top track to the ceiling? if it's just a separation wall? you can angle your screws at the flanges of track into the drywall, along with a good heavy snake like bead of glue running length of track, the angle screw center of track also. the wall will stay there forever, but is only as strong as the ceiling drywall holding it!

keep in mind, this wall will NOT take much banging on or beating, like if is for a child's playroom? if it's simply going to be standing there? not being leaned on. it should be fine but it is not a structurally sound wall!

as always, just my thoughts.

take what helps? ignore the rest!

good luck

coupe/Larry
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:56 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

metal studs on drywall

if you aren't going across anything solid and you want to anchor it, and don't want to add blocking to the wall...

personally i'd just throw in some EZ anchors for peace of mind. I've seen heavy office partition wall systems use these to hold walls in place. Just screw through your SS, (keeping it right where you want it) remove, insert anchors, then fasten your steel stud to plates and anchors.

There are different sizes, use the heavy duty metal ones (EZ anchors)

Last edited by chrisBC; 12-29-2011 at 02:08 AM.
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote