Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #1

Share |

Metal Stud Wall Questions??

I need to build a 26' X 9' high metal stud wall with 2 10' walls off the 26' wall, making up 3 rooms aprox 10 x 8 1/2...it is for an office remodel, has an existing drop ceiling that I will go up to, cover with 1/2" drywall, should I set track with glue or ramset? Can I attach top track to ceiling grid? I will have 3 36" doors to frame in so do I reinforce doorways with wood? I do mostly residential and not a lot of metal framing and customer prefers metal studs. Its all pretty easy, straight walls, stand up 9' dw and finish.

newfie49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #2

Do you have open web steel joists in the ceiling? If so, then attach the track with a ramset to the joist and build your walls from there. Please provide pictures...

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #3

I have an existing suspended ceiling in place, I just wanted to know if I could attach metal track to ceiling grid and track to floor, once other walls are added and drywall it should be a sturdy wall addition. Right?
Old 12-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #4

If its one open space and you want to divide the rooms you will have to split the grid and attach the wall with a track to the ceiling and floor if you don’t then the walls will wobble. Do it right the first time.

Also you mention that you will have 3 doors, yes you can add wood to the metal studs for your rough opening for the doors so you will have something to attach your doors to.

Last edited by epson; 12-29-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #5

Ok....
Old 12-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #6

Yes you can attach the walls to the grid.What kind of door frames do you have?If you are going with a wood jamb yes you will need wood studs if its a metal hollow core jamb or a metal knock down than you dont need wood jamb studs.You can attach the track with any kind of concrete ancor but the ramset is the fastest.
scottktmrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #7

We would build the wall below the grid in 10' sections. Then between the sections run a wood stud from the bottom up through the tile to the top, or something like that depending on what is there to attach to above. and where you can hide the stud the best.
For doors we frames the rough opening 1.5" higher and 3" wider then put 2x4's inside on each side and on the top.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #8

With your 10X8.5' room the walls will adequately brace the 26' wall.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #9

If you were more then 10' before intersecting a wall You can also use double wood top plates on top of the wall to strengthen it, Have done 16' walls like this with little deflection when pushed on. Put wood top plates with bow in opposite directions.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #10

As a commercial superintendent with tens of thousands of feet of steel stud walls under my belt, I echo what Scott says, and vociferously disagree with epson. The top track can be screwed directly to the grid ceiling, there is no need to cut the grid and attach directly to structure. You will need to attach 45* braces between the top track and structure 8"OC.
Anti-wingnut is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anti-wingnut For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (12-31-2012)
Old 12-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #11

No problem, you do it your way I’ll do it my way which I have done thousands of times. Everybody has their own way of doing things.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut View Post
As a commercial superintendent with tens of thousands of feet of steel stud walls under my belt, I echo what Scott says, and vociferously disagree with epson. The top track can be screwed directly to the grid ceiling, there is no need to cut the grid and attach directly to structure. You will need to attach 45* braces between the top track and structure 8"OC.
I also have done miles of metal framing and we have attached walls to the grid per drawing specs.That is an architec saying that its ok to this.About the only time we dont attach to the grid if its a fire wall that has to go all the way to the deck or roof.

Last edited by scottktmrider; 12-30-2012 at 12:09 AM.
scottktmrider is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scottktmrider For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (12-31-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #13

Thanks everyone, my instinct said attach to grid and the extra comments on bracing I appreciate, start the job Thursday, will let you know how it goes, thanks again.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #14
automated tool pro

I'd brace with 45's all the way up @the intersections of the 10" walls. angle away to prevent any stress that could occur after long term use of the doors.
agree with the knock-ins. There's no need for wood anywhere. Most come with clips , or you can make them yourself.

Where in Georgia are you?
I sub work from a gc who has me doing a bunch of section 8 houses. The same GC has been begging me to put together a crew to go to the Hiawasse tri-state area to frame/hang/finish various small jobs. I dont want it, but I'm sure he'd like to meet a crew down that way that would.
pm me if you're interested and I'll send you his contact info..
Old 12-31-2012, 09:23 AM   #15

Instead of standing up 9' why not use 54' drywall a lot less seams just 1 factory seam down the middle also comes in 12' lengths.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (12-31-2012)