Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Metal corner bead separating from wall

Is this a sign of something significant wrong with the structure or just a usual home repair? We are looking at a condo and on the visit we noticed that in several places around condo the metal corner beading is pulling away from one wall or the other. The condo is about 30 years old. My house is 20 years older but does not show the same condition.

david0120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Without a picture Iím assuming your problem is shrinkage. To fix this problem you can nail the corner bead every 4 inches and avoid flattening the corner bead when fastening the nails. Then cover with drywall mud, sand, prime and paint.

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,358

That is a sign if a poorly set metal corner bead---nothing uncommon--just a sloppy drywall guy---
Old 08-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Many times I find lifting metal corner beads. Usually if one side is lifting, it is on the wide side of the stud vs. the narrow edge of that stud. Lumber expands/contracts more on the wider face than on its edge, working the fasteners loose or creating stress there. http://www.paintsource.net/pages/sol...ood_shrink.htm

Around here on older houses (before DIY was popular due to internet), the metal c.b. was applied by pros (and as Mike said- not all pros) with adequate fastening, the seasonal (or indoor by HVAC) changes in humidity can disrupt the finish. Fasteners into the framing at the corners is the problem, use a paper faced metal corner bead that won’t have the movement as it is fastened to the drywall only, not the wood framing. This should change your odds that any corner crack/separation won’t happen again. The older c.b. has a 3/16” hole every 4” for joint compound to help adhere it to the drywall, the newer ones have holes twice that size and closer spacing (someone learned). http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...gry=SEARCH+ALL

If you refasten, don’t use the bigger (mud) holes: http://literature.usg.com/pdf/J1445.pdf

Fig.5, and read “Corner bead” pp.5 and 6: http://bestdrywall.com/files/ReduceCallbacks.pdf

This will help you blend, be sure to prime before finish paint: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WdMo...eature=related

Gary
P.S. welcome to the forums!
Old 08-01-2012, 11:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

This is probably not a real bad problem. It can be fixed easily, some say put nails in, but I say put a little mesh over top the crack, and coat it with some mud before repainting. This will fix the crack and it shoud not come back, many great tips can be found on

Last edited by Gary in WA; 08-02-2012 at 12:03 AM. Reason: removed advertising link as per forum rules.
bluntman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:05 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Mesh tape will show movement faster than paper tape. I would not recommend it for this application.

Gary
chrisn (08-02-2012)
Old 08-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 186

Just take the old bead off and put new up, make sure you nail and tape it.I have seen alot of amature tapers not tape the bead thats one reason it cracks.
scottktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

all the corner bead i removed around the window and door openings in my house was nailed every 18 inches and was loose. it's the only real bad workmanship i have found in the whole house. i could measure and find the nails they were so consistant. its faster to use less nails.

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote