Mesh Tape & Durabond - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 558

Mesh Tape & Durabond

The guy who might do my drywall said he uses mesh tape except on corners where he uses regular tape. Is mesh tape okay to use? He also said he will do most all of the job with Durabond.

Advertisement

Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 626

Mesh Tape & Durabond

I would not use sticky mesh tape to many problems. Remember you are paying him to do work for you. Spec out what you want on your walls. If your ok with fiberglass tape. Use it. It you want paper tape use it. You are the one that has to live with his work.
Here is the FYI on durabond http://www.usg.com/sheetrock-durabon...-compound.html

Advertisement

Last edited by Nailbags; 03-30-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:07 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,648

Mesh Tape & Durabond

I don't like mesh tape, OK why lie I hate mesh tape. Having said that I know there are some pro's out there that use it. Although I don't know why. I would be more concerned about the dura bond I think he is just using the generic name but means the easy sand. and that is fine.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:31 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Mesh Tape & Durabond

Durabond is not the same as easy sand. Durabond comes in a brown bag. Easy sand comes in a white bag. Is not easily sanded. Mesh tape is fine for wood framing, if you are taping over metal framing then I would use paper tape.
garywade78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:47 AM   #5

Mesh Tape & Durabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by garywade78 View Post
Durabond is not the same as easy sand. Durabond comes in a brown bag. Easy sand comes in a white bag. Is not easily sanded. Mesh tape is fine for wood framing, if you are taping over metal framing then I would use paper tape.
Mesh tape why it is junk let me tale the ways. 1 It is to thick. 2 it can stretch and cause cracks when the house settles. 3 if you have any dust on the dry wall or it does not stick right. your going to have problems. 4 it leaves a ridge on the seams, refer back to number 1. 5 it cost way more then paper tape. 6 it really cost way more then paper tape going back and fixing the problems.
Lastly no pro I know worth his salt would use mesh tape.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nailbags For This Useful Post:
joecaption (03-31-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #6

Mesh Tape & Durabond

Every job I have ever been on we use mesh tape on wood frame paper tape on metal framing. I've plastered 20 million dollar houses and 300 million dollar projects. Mesh tape is fine. Cracks happen when whoever hangs the sheets do A piss poor job leaving gaps, butting joints against cut sides etc. Is paper tape better of course but in residential, mesh is fine for the do it yourself.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:11 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 512

Mesh Tape & Durabond

i know of some pros that use it only on the tapered joint. i've used it in the past. your first coat of mud has to be easy sand or durabond to have a less chance of cracking. i would definitely not use durabond for the whole job. i would recommend paper over mesh. you have way more problems with mesh and if you let this guy mesh your place your taking a higher chance of having your place messing it up.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 508

Mesh Tape & Durabond

I use mesh on the flat and paper in the corners.
Most of my work will be a 1 room addition or smaller. If it is any bigger, then would call in a crew of professionals to do the taping and texture. They will not use mesh, they will use their bazooka or whatever is called now days, and apply paper and mud at the same time.

I use mesh where I can because it really saves time, stick it on and mud over it.
I have never had any problems or call backs from all the years I have used it.
Applying paper tape by hand is a pain in the arse and takes 3 times longer then mesh.

pro's with thousands of dollars worth of tools use paper. The rest of us use mesh
Old 03-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #9

Mesh Tape & Durabond

i dont think mesh saves any time. you have to go around the room applying your mesh. mix up your mud(20,45,90,etc.) and then go around filling.
paper you just use the green premixed mud. apply your mud, stick the paper then run your knife along it a couple times and move on.
for ceiling or butts going to the ceiling or drywall hung vertically im up and down the ladder twice as many times.
you could do mesh faster if you have a little monkey helper. get your helper to run around applying the tape and you could be lay on the mud right behind him.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:42 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 508

Mesh Tape & Durabond

The Monkeys name is asus, the kid is 6'7" and looong arms
Is a great helper and very detailed oriented. Is actually a artist and does oil paintings and murals on buildings and such. This actually makes him slow because he makes everything perfect and is just his nature to do things this way.
I will not hold it against him for striving for perfection.

And yes, is how it works, he goes around and applies the tape while I come in behind him with mud. He then grabs his mud pan and jumps in.
And to be fair, since I am only using paper on corners, and corners take longer then butt joints.
Maybe I am equating the longer time of corners to paper?
Old 03-31-2013, 06:37 PM   #11

Mesh Tape & Durabond

Quote:
Every job I have ever been on we use mesh tape on wood frame paper tape on metal framing. I've plastered 20 million dollar houses and 300 million dollar projects. Mesh tape is fine. Cracks happen when whoever hangs the sheets do A piss poor job leaving gaps, butting joints against cut sides etc. Is paper tape better of course but in residential, mesh is fine for the do it yourself.
I live by the rule the joy of a cheap quote and fast work. Does not out last the bitter taste of a poor quality job. Sorry I have hung plenty of dry wall have used both paper and mesh. I have had zero! zero! Call backs with paper tape. Mesh I have been called back got a crack showing it popped lose. Sorry Mesh tape is fine for a small patch job or your wood shed. On a million dollar home? don't think so. You can't put it in bango or a bazooka. I can by myself mud and tape a hole house faster then some one using mesh tape and a mixing durabond. Also I have tapered butt joints as well using the right materials on the job so there never is a wide mud seam or ridge to worry about.

Last edited by Nailbags; 03-31-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #12

Mesh Tape & Durabond

PLASTER not tape. I would never ever ever use Sheetrock and tape. Plaster is the only way to go. No million dollar house or high end project is drywall. All are plaster. Any spec book for level 5 finish requires paper tape. With that said wood frame house sheets around across studs not standing mesh level five finish would never crack done right.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:38 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 558

Mesh Tape & Durabond

Quote:
Ok i hear you. Well me and some friends did the sheetrock and there are a few gaps. How can we prevent cracks on those? Thanks
Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:47 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,648

Mesh Tape & Durabond

Quote:
PLASTER not tape. I would never ever ever use Sheetrock and tape. Plaster is the only way to go. No million dollar house or high end project is drywall. All are plaster. Any spec book for level 5 finish requires paper tape. With that said wood frame house sheets around across studs not standing mesh level five finish would never crack done right.
MESH TAPE HAS NO STRENGTH VERTICAL Simply hold 2 opposing corners and pull. If you like more work because it of it's thickness you can use it on flats, but why would you. Don't see any way it can be faster then you get to change back to paper for your angles. And yes there's that wonderful feeling when your almost done sanding and those little squares show up. As I stated in another post in the last couple weeks I have done crack repair in 2 different houses. What did they have in common, all 7 cracks were vertical and all 7 were taped with mesh tape. Would I put my reputation on the line in a million $ house and trust mesh tape NO would I put my reputation on the line in a $50,000 home with mesh tape NO. There is a reason 95% of pro tapers won't use mesh. Don't you think they would want the easy way with as much taping as they do.
RANT OVER This stuff belongs on the same shelf as all in one paint.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Nailbags (04-01-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 08:48 PM   #15
Framing Contractor

Mesh Tape & Durabond

Quote:
Ridiculous:

Plaster is not done here anymore. I have seen many million dollar (and up) houses that have used drywall. The only plaster work I have seen was in a few dome ceilings.

Advertisement

sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote