Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2011, 11:43 PM   #1

Share |

Matching texture - is this the truth..?

Hi -
I posted for some work on Craigslist - looking for some drywall and texture experts. Needless to say, I got flooded with most saying that they could patch a 1ft X 6ft piece (that was cut out for HVAC vent) into a lounge wall and texture it so that you wouldn't notice it.
Is it possible to match texture that well? Or am I being led down the wrong garden path..?
Any advise would be appreciated...
My alternative plan is to plaster the whole wall smooth...

Cheers and thanks..!

findlay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:14 AM   #2

Yep, if they know what they are doing, it will not be noticeable. I cut a 10' x 1' section out of my family room a few years ago to install a whole hose vac system. I was able to patch it with drywall, tape and mud. I repainted the ceiling and you cannot tell it was ever cut.

Ask them what they do to secure the drywall. The drywall needs to have support, be attached to the wall, so it doesn't crack down the line.

Marty1Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty1Mc For This Useful Post:
findlay70 (05-25-2011)
Old 05-25-2011, 12:26 AM   #3
ltd

on a texture wall if they are skilled and your paying them to take the proper time to do the job right IT can be done very good ,i would not say perfect but very good. painting wall a flat paint will help in hiding the patch. but if you look for the patch you will see it .so what you do is dont look for it
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
findlay70 (05-25-2011), Willie T (05-25-2011)
Old 05-25-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by findlay70 View Post
Hi -
I posted for some work on Craigslist - looking for some drywall and texture experts. Needless to say, I got flooded with most saying that they could patch a 1ft X 6ft piece (that was cut out for HVAC vent) into a lounge wall and texture it so that you wouldn't notice it.
Is it possible to match texture that well? Or am I being led down the wrong garden path..?
Any advise would be appreciated...
My alternative plan is to plaster the whole wall smooth...

Cheers and thanks..!
Let me see if I actually heard you right.

You said: "I posted for some work on Craigslist - looking for some drywall and texture experts."

Uh, have you ever read any of the ads there? You even said, yourself, "Needless to say, I got flooded with most saying that...... " And you are almost automatically already assuming that they are lying.

Yet, I imagine you will go right ahead and roll the dice. You'll hire someone who will likely deliver an inferior job.................. and you will be pissed............. and you will wonder why this happened to you........... and you will come back here with a negative report to chalk up yet another black mark against legitimate contractors.

Would you cheap out and hire a Craig's List expert to replace the brakes in your daughter's car?

For cryin' out loud, have we all just given up truly THINKING?

Last edited by Willie T; 05-25-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:32 AM   #5

Unfortunately, CL is becoming the new Yellow Pages. Our Yellow Pages used to be twice the size it is now. But, many have pulled their ads and list them on CL instead.

I prefer personal references for this type of stuff, but if you don't know anyone, then it's difficult to find them.

I am glad I do most things for myself...
Marty1Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
Stuck in the 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty1Mc View Post
I am glad I do most things for myself...
Why not give it a try. Get some materials, a scrap piece of plywood and see how good you are.
We had a large bathroom mirror that was glued to the wall fall off taking some of the texture with it. I had never done any sort of drywall work at all, but I was able to patch it myself. It wasn't perfect, but like Ltd said, "If you look for the patch you will see it .so what you do is dont look for it
Odds are, as long as it's close (and covered with a new coat of paint) no one else will notice it.
Blondesense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:38 PM   #7

Some patches are almost impossible to blend perfectly, but chances are a professional can blend it in so you'd never notice.

You should see some of the repairs on the brand new places we build. Texture can be blended in. You will have to repaint the entire ceiling afterwards.

Dan

dberladyn is offline   Reply With Quote